1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Raising rates after 3 years Landscape Gardener

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by h&m GARDENS, Nov 24, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    h&m GARDENS

h&m GARDENS LawnSite Member
    Female, from Newport, ri

Yes! Essentially that's what I was doing based off 25.00/10 bags (2.50 per). I have a full size truck and the absolute max I can load (using inside of truck as well) is 20/23.
    Do you think 25.00 per haul is too little?

2. hal

hal LawnSite Gold Member
    from Georgia

I would charge more....

3. Wye Oak Tree

Wye Oak Tree LawnSite Fanatic

Hey H&M, you mentioned dumping at the compost facility. By that do you mean the Newport transfer station? I heard you can dump at Rhode Island nurseries on East main rd as well but I don't know the details.

4. OP
    OP
    h&m GARDENS

Female, from Newport, ri

No. I work in Newport and Jamestown but live in Warwick. free to residents

5. Wye Oak Tree

Ok cool. If you didn't know already, you can dump leaves at the Watson Farm in Jamestown for free.

oqueoque likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    h&m GARDENS

Female, from Newport, ri

Just leaves? Any restrictions? I've never heard this!

7. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Yes. I don't know hauling rates in your area but around here it's much more. $25 would not even cover an Uber ride from the clients to the dump here just something to help put things in perspective.

oqueoque and h&m GARDENS like this.
  8. Wye Oak Tree

Yes, leaves only. They are specific about that. No ornamental grass, weeds or brush. I believe they only allow you to dump for several weeks in the fall.

I would call the property manager each fall just make sure we could dump there. Several landscapers dump leaves there so it gets to the point where they won't accept any more.

I can PM their info if you like.

hort101 likes this.
  9. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a local farm or sight where they open it up for composting and such I haven’t been to a dump in years for yard material. Another thing get a small dump trailer build the sides up a little bit and just dump materials in the trailer instead of the time consuming process of bagging that way you can do the four accounts in one day the next day the one and not have to make several trips to the dump. Another thing is if your a resident but want to fly under the radar at the dump so they do t think your a contractor plenty of homeowners have single axle dump trailer of a 10 ft trailer it’s very common. Just don’t logo your trailer. As far as the employee issue just charge 125 a hour on sight. 35 for the other person and 95 for you. But then again for me and my helper I do things by the job with my hourly rate built into the price of the job. All dumping fees are included into the price. That’s kinda wierd you do a hourly rate plus dumping fee just incorporate it into one price.

10. OP
    OP
    h&m GARDENS

Female, from Newport, ri

I know it's different the way I work! Aside from spring and fall, it's accumulated weeds, deadheaded plants and that sort of thing (garden maintenance) which means carrying a bag around the grounds. Having to deal with a trailer wouldn't make sense for me typically.
    Dumping at my local compost facility is quite easy with no hassle at all and I know I'm dumping legally.
    My job sites vary greatly from site to site, month to month so a flat fee doesn't work for me.
    I DO realize that I need to charge double for 2 people and cover her pay as well as profit off her time. Thanks!!

Puttinggreens, hort101 and KUMA01 like this.