• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Raising the prices.

kedkins22

LawnSite Member
I was wondering how and when you raise your prices. I have about 20% of my customers that I will be raising this year and would like to know how you address the issue. Any wording would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

alteeter

LawnSite Member
glad to see this thread, hope more will chime in........I am in the same boat, I plan on raising prices for most of my customers this (2010) season. I am mainly residential and havent upped prices for 2 years now. My plan of attack is simply to approach the customers at the end of this month and give them a printed quote with the increase included. I am gonna explain that fuel, insurance, parts and everything else is/has increased in price, therefore; their price has to increase, we are in business to make money/ provide a living for spouses/children/dogs/etc.

tstutz

LawnSite Senior Member
i always meet with each customer and talk about resigning. that is when i say something about price raising if need be. sometimes you can come to an agreement with them. this is like all of mowing and landscape work, communication is KEY!

Dave_005

LawnSite Senior Member
i always meet with each customer and talk about resigning. that is when i say something about price raising if need be. sometimes you can come to an agreement with them. this is like all of mowing and landscape work, communication is KEY!
I Agree ! I meet with EACH customer before the season starts and inform them of any price changes or change of days etc... I talk with them and they agree to any changes and if they want to continue with my service before i will put them on the schedule. ALWAYS make any changes BEFORE the Season Starts !!

Lazer Cut

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey search "raising prices" in the search button... I did a thread a few months ago same thing and I got featured in TURF magazine... great read
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Tater

LawnSite Silver Member
I Agree ! I meet with EACH customer before the season starts and inform them of any price changes or change of days etc... I talk with them and they agree to any changes and if they want to continue with my service before i will put them on the schedule. ALWAYS make any changes BEFORE the Season Starts !!
I agree with this, do it face to face. I have now contacted all my customers from last year and have a 99% retention, however there is no increase at all for anyone this year, however pricing has changed for all new accounts

SMITHSCAPE

LawnSite Member
My philosophy is to never raise prices on existing customers, but to raise your estimate prices once you have established a certain amount of customers (every business is different, so this number depends on what you think it should be). You just can't risk losing customers in the first few years of business.