1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Ransome or Ransom 72" Diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hankovitch, Jun 20, 2006.

1. hankovitch

hankovitch LawnSite Member

I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a Ransome (Ransom?), 3 cylinder 25 hp Diesel mower, 72" deck, ~1,000 hours.....anyone out there make some recommendations on price to pay, why to purchase it or why not, better alternatives, your experience with same/similar mower....thanks, Hankovitch

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That machine, if it has the Yanmar engine, is underpowered with only a 25hp diesel on a 72" deck. I demoed one a few years ago. If it is the one with the Yanmar diesel, you will need to double up on hearing protection, and never crank it up before about 8:00 in the morning. The one I tried would wake the dead from 2 miles away.

3. lars

lars LawnSite Member

I would say that the Ransomes is an good, but not great machine. The deck feets a bit heavy and can dig a bit. I can't say much about the traction unit other than it looks like standard faire. I think the Toro 325/345/328/72 is a much better machine. The deck floats much better and the traction unit is bulletproof. I would also look into the Kubota unit. It seems to be a pretty soild machine.

As far as alternatives go, a ZTR is probably a better machine. A 72" ZTR will outmow an out-front and is less costly . However, the out-front is built a little heavier. You can easily run one for 4000-5000 hours.

Here are a few machines I found:
    2002 Jacobsen 628 (same machine) $8,900
    2000 Ransomes 728 (700 hrs) $6,000
    Ransomes 728 (621 hrs) $7,500
    Jacobsen 628 (414 hrs) $8,500