Ransomes Bobcat 36 Wheel Belt Slipping Off

JaCkaL829

LawnSite Member
Hello everyone

I just purchased a Ransomes Bobcat 36" Gear Belt Driven Walk Behind mower for my brother in law. He just bough a larger house, and wants to cut the grass himself. A 21" would take way too long, so I ended up with a used commercial machine. I like the machine, but noticed today that multiple times the right wheel belt keeps 'walking' off the pulley and going to the left, eventually coming off the pulley all together. The belt appears to be fine, it's a newer Oregon belt, and it's the same part number as the left wheel which is fine. The tension is the same as the left wheel as well. I'm wondering if it needs a new pulley? Any input/advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
The pulley at the wheel will wear down and if thats the case the pulley might have a sharp edge at its outer limits. If theres a idler pulley make sure the arm isn't bent or worn or being pulled out of alignment by the drive mechanism.

OP
J

JaCkaL829

LawnSite Member
The pulley at the wheel will wear down and if thats the case the pulley might have a sharp edge at its outer limits. If theres a idler pulley make sure the arm isn't bent or worn or being pulled out of alignment by the drive mechanism.

I believe the idler pulley is what’s misaligned. Can this be salvaged or should I buy a new one? Weird part is it’s come off with no tension from the idler pulley.

the first pic is the problem, the second is the one with no issues.

Attachments

• 539D389B-5610-4013-A41C-64C45C74A745.jpeg
    539D389B-5610-4013-A41C-64C45C74A745.jpeg
    337.7 KB · Views: 59
  • AB558E86-1848-4768-8CC0-4C73DA19C8D4.jpeg
    AB558E86-1848-4768-8CC0-4C73DA19C8D4.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 51

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
It's likely neither of the issues mentioned. That idler won't cause it to pop off. Yes, it's a little crooked, but they do that over time.

The issue appears to be the pulley alignment off the jackshaft from the transmission. Look at the spacing... It's out too far. Usually those pulleys have a set screw in the belt groove... Loosen that and then tap the pulley over closer towards the transmission about 1/4-3/8".

Top Forums