Raptor SD

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BrandonJ, Feb 10, 2019.

1. BrandonJ

BrandonJ LawnSite Member

I bought a Hustler Raptor SD last September, I got really tired of using a tractor style mower. I mowed a few times with it last year and loved it. But now that summer is coming up, I'm thinking about starting a side job mowing service with the mower. I have a full time job, so I'm just looking at trying it on my days off, maybe 10 yards or so. I've read a lot but haven't really gotten a good answer, is the Raptor SD capable of mowing 10 to 15 yards a week on my days off? Or will I just wear it out?

2. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

Eventually they all wear out :) Most commercial guys probably have commercial machines and for good reason. I have an SD, 2.5 summers on it, but only about 80-90 hours on it. I do just under an acre with that about once a week give or take.

I imagine if I had done 10x's that my mower might be giving me some troubles at 800 hours or more. I don't think they're meant for running that much on a weekly basis. heavier than your standard residential mower for sure, and I love mine for my yard. If I was going to start mowing more I might just get what I can for my mower, take the loss and get a commercial machine that will last your many years under that light load. or just mow with yours and get some cash flowing and put it away to spend about 3K more than you did last time and get a good commercial mower when it dies.

If they're smaller yards, not a lot of slopes and easy on the turns, it will probably last a few seasons I'd think.

I am not a pro, but when I don't think the SD is rated for quite that many hours and constant running means a lot of heat and they're not built to withstand like a commercial mower is. You still don't have a good answer, i'm just guessing by what I found when I was looking for my mower and giving an opinion :)

hort101 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    BrandonJ

BrandonJ LawnSite Member

Okay. I'm thinking I'll use it for this mowing season and if I'm pretty busy at the end and I've racked up a lot of hours, I'll upgrade in the winter for a commercial size for the next summer. Thanks for your comment!

4. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Senior Member
    from GSO NC

Last season I was mowing 9-11 yards a day for 5-6 days a week.From April-November. Then slapped on the bagging system for leaf removal up until January last month. My Sd does most of the heavy lifting. Scored a 36 for rear gates this season. To add to the versatility. OP with your work load the SD won’t break a sweat.

hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  5. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed. I have a raptor SD 54" and it's about to start it's 2nd season. Haven't had any issues with it yet.

6. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

what kind of hours do you guys have on those if you don't mind me asking? Mine is trouble free too, but i'm at roughly 90 hours only in 2.5 seasons

7. GSO LAWNEN4CER

from GSO NC

I’m right at 500 hrs on mine. Mine is a second generation SD

EricC and hort101 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    BrandonJ

BrandonJ LawnSite Member

Thanks, this makes me feel pretty confident about the SD. Thanks for your comment!

9. GSO LAWNEN4CER

from GSO NC

And I’ve cut down some nasty with mine.

B3E12F85-13A9-4501-A652-3BB76F931588.jpeg

D890F1D6-6051-4902-8163-FB5DC8F01BE5.jpeg

FA06EDBD-9037-4267-A3A1-09DA63D0BFE3.jpeg

9E704CC1-76FF-4690-A74C-DA453C1B5973.jpeg

10. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic