Rate and content of my fertilization

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by zlandman, Nov 13, 2019.

1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Supposedly the fertilizer I'm using is 3 bags/ acre which is pretty typical I think. Based on measured area of all my properties I'm very close to that target. x5 apps/yr. So 750 lb/acre/yr. I'm not seeing much along the line of increased growth or fill in of bare spots. Yes my application is uniform with z spray set on 5 @ 4mph. I thought by the end of year one i would see good improvement in thickness of the turf?

How much are other programs putting down on cool season turf? 32-5-7 should be making it GROW right???

20191104_170537.jpg

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Should be plenty of fert
    Ever done any soil tests?

3. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

I knew that would be the first question! I did soil tests thru a lab that provided me no recommendations at all, the report said basically nothing. So, siteone says they offer soil tests with recommendations for N. So I will be giving that a try!

hort101 likes this.
  4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

My first thought is ph?
    If you have the test numbers you can go from there
    Also any sun or disease issues?

dKoester likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

Full sun areas for the most part and some shade. Not much in the way of disease. This was my fertilization program for several customers in two towns and been disappointed in the outcome all around.

hort101 likes this.
  6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

If your ph is way high or low nutrient uptake will be affected my area tends to be acidic I've witnessed some fert make it worse

Also in some areas a high phos could affect your green growth

dKoester and zlandman like this.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ohio has good soil. Weather was fairly rainy this year. Sounds like enough fertilizer. Vertical growth and green color should have been good. Provided the rain or irrigation was adequate to prevent drought damage or browning of the grass.
    However, some grasses particularly perennial rye and tall fescue--do not creep--very slow to spread. The newer, up to date, premium varieties of rye and tall fescue--may have some creeping or lateral spread genetics--maybe more rapid tillering characteristics. This may be the problem--clumps of grass that are too slow to spread--too slow to fill in bare spots between the clumps. Older types of seed have this problem. And even if a mixture of bluegrass and rye or fescue was seeded-in, the bluegrass may have failed to take hold. This means that only a tiny percent of the grass is bluegrass. The ability of your grass to creep and fill-in may be near zero.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    dKoester, zlandman and hort101 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

Riggle, a very good point I had not considered. I had no takers on my suggested overseeing. This will be a great point to bring up next time! It's a mostly fescue situation.
    Majority of the lawns are never treated before and took a couple applications to wipe out most of the weeds leaving bear spots.
    However, I mow them also and the vertical growth was not what I expected.

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  9. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

how much coated fert is in it

hort101 and That Guy Gary like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    zlandman

from Ohio

50% is coated allegedly per siteone, no marking on the label.
    That's another question. This fertilizer has iron in it per the salesmen. The label does not list any micros like iron. Is this typical?

hort101 likes this.