1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rates in CT

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by Services Plus LLC, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Services Plus  LLC

Services Plus LLC LawnSite Member
    from CT

I'm looking what the going rate per hour, per man, for your standard 60" or 72" mower in Connecticut or close by.

I'm getting rates ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!! I think most of these guys ARE NOT paying their employees on the books.....thus rates are incredibly low.

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Are you asking what I would charge the customer for the man, or how much would I be paying him to work for me?

3. Services Plus  LLC

from CT

What you are charging the customer? I will fix that in my question..... :drinkup:

4. Services Plus  LLC

from CT

I can't seem to edit it in my first post.....but anyway, I'm looking for what the "employer" is charging the "customer" for this equipment/man per hour. Thanks.

5. LandFakers

from CT

I usually charge $35 an hour for my guy when he works with me. He only gets paid $14 an hour. Hope that answers your question

6. Services Plus  LLC

from CT

Wow that sounds low to me. Is he fully "on the books"?

7. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Cutting crew gets $45 per hour , per man, min. Doesn't matter if using a 60", 21" weed wacker, or blower.

We do work in RI and Ma.

8. Services Plus  LLC

from CT

And you can pay your fuel, payroll taxes, insurances etc etc......and still make a decent profit at that rate?

9. Darryl G

Darryl G Inactive

I base my mowing estimates on $60/hr with a 52 inch Lazer HP but my actual take varies...could be $45/hour and could be $80+ depending on the account. I have a minimum of $40 for mowing but will make a rare exception. For general maintenance labor I bill out at between $45 and $55 with a cleanup rate of $60/hr. Chain saw work I'm at $75 but I don't do a lot of that. My goal is to bill out at least $300/day working solo.

You should be able to get top rate where you are. I'm across the river from you and I get calls from your area all the time but turn them down. It seems like your area is under served by landscapers...seems nobody there can find anyone. I know there is one guy in your area that has low prices, but he's not exactly what I'd call a professional...the beat-up old multi-colored Ford truck. I know he has accounts by Roger's Lake.

10. LandFakers

from CT

Yes he is, and there is a company around here that is driving the price down... 2 years ago I was at 45, but people laugh at you for that now...