rates on different turf

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
So I've always followed the label and done what it says. I've always wondered about the rates listed on a label. Many times you have one rate for warm season and another for cool season. For example....

Speedzone southern label says..

Cool season grasses spray at 4-6 pints per acre
Warm season grasses spray at 2-4 pints per acre

So if i'm targeting clover for example. If 2-4 pints/acre will kill it in warm season why wouldn't it work on cool season? Seems spraying at 2-3 pints would save some money and labor, especially for someone like me in a trasition zone who has all types of turf.

Am I thinking too far out of the box?

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
You are not. The rates for warm season turf are written lower because those grasses have a much lower tolerance for 2,4-D, dicamba, and MCPP. Even within the warm season turf rate ranges, notice how higher rates are labeled for common bermuda and zoysia versus other warm season grasses. I sometimes am in a situation where I need to treat a lawn that has both hybrid bermuda and Emerald zoysia. Cannot burn the hybrid bermuda because the zoysia is not the majority grass yet. So I apply the lower rate of Speedzone Southern. 3 pints per acre applied through a boom with fan nozzles and 1/2% MSO kills weeds just as dead as 4-6 pints. Spray coverage becomes critical when working at low rates. I would not bet the job on spotty coverage from sprinkler type nozzles or single flood jets made to cover wide swaths. Given how warm it normally is in my area, I would torch lawns if I used high rates of anything. Yet I still need to kill weeds that have been there for a long time. Many weeds you think of as annuals on the continent become perennial here.

OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
You are not. The rates for warm season turf are written lower because those grasses have a much lower tolerance for 2,4-D, dicamba, and MCPP. Even within the warm season turf rate ranges, notice how higher rates are labeled for common bermuda and zoysia versus other warm season grasses. I sometimes am in a situation where I need to treat a lawn that has both hybrid bermuda and Emerald zoysia. Cannot burn the hybrid bermuda because the zoysia is not the majority grass yet. So I apply the lower rate of Speedzone Southern. 3 pints per acre applied through a boom with fan nozzles and 1/2% MSO kills weeds just as dead as 4-6 pints. Spray coverage becomes critical when working at low rates. I would not bet the job on spotty coverage from sprinkler type nozzles or single flood jets made to cover wide swaths. Given how warm it normally is in my area, I would torch lawns if I used high rates of anything. Yet I still need to kill weeds that have been there for a long time. Many weeds you think of as annuals on the continent become perennial here.

Thanks Green.

I'm in an area where I might have a bermuda, centipede, and fescue lawn all together in a row. I can cut my cost down by being able to spray the same thing and rate on all of them.

I'm able to do it in some rounds. In round 1 everything is dormant and gets a blanket app of speedzone southern at 4 pints/acre through a boom sprayer.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
When the turf is not dormant try cutting your rates down to 2-3 pints and adding the MSO.

OP
G

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
will do! Thanks

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
In warm, humid weather the weeds are a lot more responsive to herbicides. So I avoid overkill rates. Not using Speedzone, I have hammered weeds with 1/2 lb straight ester and the equivalent of 4 oz dicamba as a tank mix.