Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at starting a lawncare business, be a one man show. I have no idea what ot charge, or how to find out what rates are locally.

Looking for advice.

Thank you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a 54" Big Dog Alpha MP, have a 5'x10' trailer, a Husky straightshaft trimmer, a husky handheld blower and a pushmower. The equipment is mine, no debt attached to it.
I want to get commercial and residential accounts.

Reactions: Youngandfree

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im trying to figure that out now, definetly need a rainy day fund.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you figured what your expenses will be? Even though you bought the equipment outright, you need to put money aside to be able to repair and replace it when time comes, and figure that into your costs.
Do you put a certain percentage of each cut away for future expenses?

Reactions: jonniesmooth

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Do you put a certain percentage of each cut away for future expenses?
Figure mower will need replacement around 2000 hrs.
So as an example:
A $10,000 mower divided by 2000 hrs. Equals $5 for each hour. Plus $1 per hr for maintenance.
Figure about $2 per hr per handheld.
These are aprox only.
You may get 3000 hrs out of your mower.
Ball park on mower gas is about a gallon per hr. Or $3 per hr.
Your insurance you'll have to divide your annual cost by how many hrs per yr you put in.
Truck and trailer you'll have to do your best on that. Cause I've no clue how old it is, or how much life is left in it.
But this gives you a very general idea how much to recoup on equipment costs per hr.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. That makes it easier knowing how much per hour to put away.
My trailer is brand new Canada trailer 5x10, truck is a 17 Silverado 1500.

We have bought from a Commercial outfitter, so get excellent prices.
Figure mower will need replacement around 2000 hrs.
So as an example:
A $10,000 mower divided by 2000 hrs. Equals $5 for each hour. Plus $1 per hr for maintenance.
Figure about $2 per hr per handheld.
These are aprox only.
You may get 3000 hrs out of your mower.
Ball park on mower gas is about a gallon per hr. Or $3 per hr.
Your insurance you'll have to divide your annual cost by how many hrs per yr you put in.
Truck and trailer you'll have to do your best on that. Cause I've no clue how old it is, or how much life is left in it.
But this gives you a very general idea how much to recoup on equipment costs per hr.

Reactions: MowDaddy

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You have to do some math

This is not how you set set pricing - Determine your operating costs and desired profit margin —- rather this becomes what your minimum charge should be.

What you want to do is see what your market will bare. What will people in your market pay for each service. If you can not sell the service at or above the pricing you determined would cover your costs/profit then you should not normally offer that service.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Thanks. That makes it easier knowing how much per hour to put away.
My trailer is brand new Canada trailer 5x10, truck is a 17 Silverado 1500.

We have bought from a Commercial outfitter, so get excellent prices.
Well it's not so much putting that much away each hr. It helps you price your services.
Example:
Let's just assume you want to personally net $45 per hr take home.
So if you know you can mow-trim-blow X yard in 1 hr.
You start at $45 add in $2.5 for mower for half hour, $0.50 maintenance, $1.5 gas, $1 each trimmer and blower, $1.25 insurance, $4 truck $1 trailer.
So just adding in my head looks like $56.75 for that lawn. Round it up to $60.
Because there is drive time to consider, trimmer line, 2 cycle oil,
Etc. Might even bump it to $65.
You'll soon find the market cap.
If you get every job you bid, raise your price. Your leaving money on the table.
PS. Also check with your state, you may need to charge sales tax.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well it's not so much putting that much away each hr. It helps you price your services.
Example:
Let's just assume you want to personally net $45 per hr take home.
So if you know you can mow-trim-blow X yard in 1 hr.
You start at $45 add in $2.5 for mower for half hour, $0.50 maintenance, $1.5 gas, $1 each trimmer and blower, $1.25 insurance, $4 truck $1 trailer.
So just adding in my head looks like $56.75 for that lawn. Round it up to $60.
Because there is drive time to consider, trimmer line, 2 cycle oil,
Etc. Might even bump it to $65.
You'll soon find the market cap.
If you get every job you bid, raise your price. Your leaving money on the table.
PS. Also check with your state, you may need to charge sales tax.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update here, opted to wait until next season, will advertise on FB and such next February/Spring.

Bought an Echo PAS2520 with trimmer head, will add edger next spring.

Do you golis use LMN software or similar?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
1 USA $ =1.21 Canadian. So if someone from the states says $45 USA, that would be 54 Canadian, so you have to adjust for that too.

Reactions: Chineau

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking at starting a lawncare business, be a one man show. I have no idea what ot charge, or how to find out what rates are locally.

Looking for advice.

Thank you.
Dont have a set price per lawn, keep an average sure. Measure the yard. While doing so keep an eye out for places your mower dont fit, write down the linear feet of fences and areas you need to use a trimmer around. Trimming can murder your time at the residence. Include trimming and blowing for free on your estimate, but increase the cost of mowing to do the yard. I trim every other week, its in the contract. As far as pricing consider this, gas costs me between 100-200 per week, paychex costs me about 25$ per week ( well worth it when you have employees) you need insurance for vehicles, oil changes, belts, advertising, print and marketing costs) and of course you need to pay yourself. You will find out quick if your price is too low or too high through advertising. Tons of calls, too little, no calls is too high. Plan on 65$ per one off mow or offer them a contract for 50 per mow if they pay for the season. Google grass growing life in your zone and do the math to figure how many mows left in the season.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.