RB ME3 & Flow Sensor

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Installed a Me3 last year with a MJB 100 flow sensor. Made some head changes this year so had to relearn flow. Tried doing it through the app on phone standing next to controller but it never seemed to be learning or reading the flow as nothing was showing up on the "current gpm" when a zone was supposed running.

I did slide the relearn button over before each zone.

Anyone?

JamesR

LawnSite Member
During a manual run of the controller if you press on the green "Flow Rate" of the bottom of the Active Irrigation box to see the flow gauge, do you see any flow at all? If not that shows the flow sensor is not sending pulses to the controller.
No pulses to the controller could be caused by a flow sensor wire cut, corroded connections or damage to the flow sensor.

You can always double check the controller and Rain Bird app are working by doing the following troubleshooting:
1. Replace the flow sensor wires by two loose wires about 12 inches long that have the ends stripped.
2. Run the manual run and flow gauge in the app as described above.
3. Tap the ends of the two wires together at stripped ends at 3 second intervals. This simulates pulses to the controller and you should see flow at the Rain Bird App gauge. Tapping faster shows more flow, tapping the wires together slower will show less flow.

My guess is that the controller and app are probably working OK, but the flow sensor pulses are not getting to the controller.

Flow Rate button in app.jpg

Flow Guage.PNG

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
OK went back today and checked continuity of wiring which was good. Still no reading when learning flow.

Tried the wire tapping thing when running a manual single zone, nothing. Does there have to be a recorded flow established for it to show a reading?

Starting to pee me off. Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right?

Just to see I touched test probes to flow terminals at controller while it was in the learn mode zone running, no reading, not sure if it should be but nothing to lose at that point.

Is there any way to check the flow meter directly?

James, are you the new "RB Ron"?

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
For what it's worth I did take the flow meter down for winter and actually stored it at my house so I knew it would be kept in a warm place treated nice.

OK went back today and checked continuity of wiring which was good. Still no reading when learning flow.

Tried the wire tapping thing when running a manual single zone, nothing. Does there have to be a recorded flow established for it to show a reading?

Starting to pee me off. Maybe I'm not holding my mouth right?

Just to see I touched test probes to flow terminals at controller while it was in the learn mode zone running, no reading, not sure if it should be but nothing to lose at that point.

Is there any way to check the flow meter directly?

James, are you the new "RB Ron"?
He is the Product Manager for this product. I asked him to respond to your question since I am sure he only very infrequently checks in here. I will poke him.

JamesR

LawnSite Member
In answer to this question: "Tried the wire tapping thing when running a manual single zone, nothing. Does there have to be a recorded flow established for it to show a reading?"
Yes, there has to be a learned flow process complete before the "Flow Rate" will show up and the flow gauge will be shown. Even if the learned flow is 0.
Just to be clear, you were able to see the flow gauge and saw 0 flow in the gauge while you were doing the wire tapping, or you were not able to see the flow gauge?

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
In answer to this question: "Tried the wire tapping thing when running a manual single zone, nothing. Does there have to be a recorded flow established for it to show a reading?"
Yes, there has to be a learned flow process complete before the "Flow Rate" will show up and the flow gauge will be shown. Even if the learned flow is 0.
Just to be clear, you were able to see the flow gauge and saw 0 flow in the gauge while you were doing the wire tapping, or you were not able to see the flow gauge?
I could see the flow gauge but it was sitting on 0, wouldn't move no matter how I did the tap dance

Thanks for responding BTW

I guess I could buy another flow meter and see what happens? Or is there another way to "test" it ?

JamesR

LawnSite Member
Sorry you are still having trouble. Sometimes it is harder to help with a chat back and forth than in person.

If the tapping didn't work then the issue is not the flow sensor, but the controller I am sorry to say. If you can replace the front panel and try the tapping again you will know for sure if it is an issue with the controller or if I did not explain the tapping process well and you are doing it the way I explained, and not the way it works. :) Let me see if I can add a picture of the setup too just to be sure it makes sense. You tap the wires together every couple of seconds for at least 30 seconds so the controller can pick up the pulses. Don't worry about the wire type in the picture. It is just what I had on hand.

Flow Testing.jpg