• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

re mulching

Rtom45

LawnSite Senior Member
If you can afford the time, its a good idea to cultivate the old mulch into the soil before adding new. We always do this, but we maintain a College campus and aren't trying to make a profit.

bcx400

LawnSite Member
A few years ago, my clients started asking for dyed-mulch, specifically, black-dyed. Being that this mulch is pure wood (no bark), it takes years to decay. An inch or two added every year is now building up to 5 or 6 inches. It is time to remove the thick layer. IMO, anything over 3" depth is too much.

D Felix

LawnSite Bronze Member
Usually put a thin layer of mulch down over the old, it's only getting put down to incorporate the pre-emergent as well as add color. However, after a few years, you will have built up enough to where you should consider removing old.

If it's getting piled up on tree trunks, remove it. If it's within a couple of inches of house siding, remove it. If its ON house siding, you better remove it PRONTO and hope no critters have decided to use the mulch as a superhighway into the house!

Dan

OP
L

lawnguyz2k3

LawnSite Member
thanks alot it will sure save me alot of time. i was thinking what the heck am i getting myself into i feel better now thanks again for your answers....