1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Re-Sequencing zones

Discussion in 'Zone Talk' started by mitchgo, May 5, 2018.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

To start off on the new threads just created I figured I'd post.

I Often see systems with the system not sequenced. Zone 1 is in the front and 2 is in the back , then 3 back to the front again. Along with a zone guide to follow suit of a bad sequence. You are running all around finding zones, many minutes are wasted and a ton of walking is involved . In my opinion there should be 2 ways it should be sequenced.

First way ) System starts in Front running Clockwise/ counterclockwise - whatever comes next in line is the next zone. Ie : Z1- Front N. Left Driveway Lawn, Z2- Front N. Left Driveway Shrubs, Z3- Side E. of House Lawn, Z4 Side E. of House Shrubs ect.

Second way) With larger systems with a lot of shrubs and lawn zones you could set the system up to be first set of zones all Lawns running clockwise/ counterclockwise and then the second set of zones all Shrubs running clockwise/ counterclockwise.

If the controller is in the back or side of the house, perhaps the first set of zones start next to the controller to help give ease of mind that the system is functioning without huge major setbacks. ( Ie - You turn on zone 1 and 2 and don't see anything.. Come to find out it's down the hill otherside of the house.. What the hell!)

Outlawn likes this.
  2. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ran into this exact thing on a repair yesterday. Property was a large house/property in a small ranching town about 90 miles from where I live. The clock was in the maid’s quarters in the backyard and it was a good 30 second walk to the front to see what was coming up. The zones were programmed about like you are talking where all of the front would come on first and then the back, but still.

mitchgo likes this.
  3. Outlawn

Many of you probably do this, but I thought of a little cheater thing to do:
    The clock had A, B, and C programs but nothing was programmed in C. So, I went in and programmed that for the “test” program. Put 2 mins on each zone and used it to do my run,through. Wish I could say that I thought of it myself but I got the idea from my Irritrol remote, haha. It has a system test feature where it’ll cycle through all the zones after running for whatever time you set it to do per zone.

Anne Wilk likes this.
  4. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

That saves you from walking back and forth to the clock, but it doesn’t help with a poorly sequenced system.

5. Outlawn

No. No, it doesn’t.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

We always wire em 1st zone furthest from the clock . Then in order past the clock and beyond. Then shrubs last.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Any system we service that isn't a hunter clock stays with c set up as test/ winterize program.

Mdirrigation and Outlawn like this.
  8. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Three things absolutely necessary for a complete install: paper, pen, piece of tape. If only original install included simple written description of where each zone is and tape it inside controller cover, much time saved all around for many years to come. :clapping:

9. OP
    OP
    mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

Care to share the reasoning ?

Zone guides are always beneficial but something that shouldn’t totally relied on as they can often be wrong , you also aren’t going to hold on to a piece of paper the whole time while inspecting the system

In my experience zones furthest from the controller starting first can quickly open up confusion about what’s going on . Questions that aren’t necessary pop up in my head such as ; Did I properly turn on the zone from the controller or is my remote properly hooked up properly ? Do we have a pipe break or maybe an electrical problem -

I then Turn on zone 2 and still nothing ( because it’s far away) . I walk around check the meter and see major usage . I pull out electrical tools to diagnose at the controller and see normal readings . I walk to the backyard and see the back corner rotor zone running just fine.
    I mean to me all that walking , panick of possible reasons of something to be wrong isn’t needed when zone 1 can start nearby the controller - preferably in the front

Outlawn likes this.
  10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Well Mitchell, this can be a deep subject, HA!!!

Each installer has his own reasons for zone assignment and operating order.

I’ve followed a ton of guys in the great state of Jefferson only to find it’s not a great state of irrigators, mostly it’s a state of confusion.

I’ve addressed non sequential valves before, that’s where I began using the TDR when locating. Takes a few minutes and you can determine what your physical placements are.

Around here it’s a toss up of overthinking or under thinking mixed with a little bit of WTF was he thinking.

Outlawn and mitchgo like this.