Re-Sequencing zones

Discussion in 'Zone Talk' started by mitchgo, May 5, 2018.

1. Outlawn

Outlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Lots of the WTF thinking around here! Ha.

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

I went out to replace a controller the other day- 22 zones. He had a zone guide and it was crazy.. Literally back/front/back/front. I asked the homeowner if he wants it resequenced and he said go for it. It took about 45 min extra to turn on all the zones, come up with a game plan, label the wires to the new location as I pulled it from the controller and create a new zone guide/ programming.

Now It starts near the controller, and runs clockwise around the house :) My helper was less then enthused about this and kept bickering. I kept saying what's the point of doing all of this if we aren't going to do it right the first time around

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You might think about sending your helper to find a big ol jar of stfu or maybe have him take a “clear your mind hike”

Don’t forget to wave as you drive past him :waving:

enorl76, mitchgo and TX Easymoney like this.
  4. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't understand hourly workers being upset with having more work--- though, my 10 year old self was always upset when dad kept adding jobs to the day. ...probably mostly upset then because I wanted to go play and also because I didn't have bills.

Delmarva Keith likes this.
  5. mitchgo

I resquenced a 35 zone HOA the other day. 1/2 Mile

Issue #1- In the Winter I chatted with the pres and he said the system hasn't worked in 2 years- a guy attempted to replace the controller but never finished. I came back a few weeks later to install some lighting and check into the controller issue. I Found 4- 13 strands, 2 -5 strands and 3- 8 strands just Laying next to the controller. I Ohmed it all out and discovered the person used the wrong wire as the commong. I Used a couple 13 strands to run to the controller and a Massive nasty rats nest of wire connection next to the controller in a standard box. The system also had a MV which I found BURIED 10' from backflow just by chance. It took a while to find that wire.. After heavy documentation about what I found...

Flash forward to a month ago activation- Nothing was in sequence and for some reason Half the system wasn't electrically working. Come to find out a neighborhood expansion of water main, utilities ect was happening and they broke the system- They patched it but criss crossed wired. I RE-wired there 2 sections of splices about 50 splices in total.

After some more heavy documenting I started piecing the system together

Can you imagine what its like to turn on a zone and find it 900' down and turn on the next and 500' away so on and so forth.. I Actually made a Map so I could sequence. Alright---- Zone 15 needs to be 1, Zone 1 needs to be 19 , Zone 19 needs to be 5 , Zone 5 needs to be 6 ,Zone 6 needs to be 34, Zone 34 needs to be 8 ECT.. Holy S what a mind Ef on me.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You just described the reason I began experimenting with TDR’s Mitchell.

The other day I had a “ghost” valve situation, multiple opens (breaks) with poor transmitter conductivity. The tdr gave me clue to each distance to compromise. Other than digging five holes in rock and hard pan, it went smoothly. :)

7. mitchgo

All I could think of was that.. lol

8. mitchgo

60CA4D38-70E9-4F9D-B999-ED545C7A4AFF.jpeg I see this way too often . I know this wasn’t a homeowner either. Who ever labels like this needs to stop !!

9. mitchgo

51BABB99-15CF-4522-A940-24D77B3824A7.jpeg Someone did this . Minutes / programming aside . The zone description is great !