1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Read any good lawn care books lately?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GRT, Mar 9, 2004.

1. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

I'm new here, so I'm not sure if this topic has come up, but I couldn't find it in the search function. Thanks for looking!

I am looking for some good reference style books on grass and turf care. I am in Maryland, so anything specific to the area is great. Do you have a lawn "bible" that you swear by? Was there a book that particulary helped you when you were starting out? Let me know, I'm really interested in learning all of the particulars!

I am going down to Va Tech in a few weekends for the spring football game, and they have a good program so I might check out their text books on turfgrass. I appreciate any and all input; I think this thread will be helpful for all of us in expanding our libraries.

Thanks!

Geoff

2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I was doing a search this week also. I got a $50 gift card to barnes $ noble for x mas so I went down to the store yesterday and picked up 3 book. One was Orthos complete guide to trees and shrubs the other was Home planners Landscape Plans and the last one was Tauntons front yard idea book. I only had about 45 minutes to look in the store and i figured hey they where basicaly free. the tree and shrub book seems to be ok so far. Answered a few questions I had and showed pics which is always a plus. Haven't read into the other two. I would say plan on a few hours of searching a book store and glancing thru their books. I saw a book for $70 on Landscaping that looked pretty good. Can't remember the name tho. When you find a book you like in the store go online and check Amazon or any price grabber. You will probly get it cheaper including shipping.

3. GRT

GRT LawnSite Member

True, that is a good way to do it.

There are (what look to be) good books on the ALCA site, but they are crazy expensive...