ready to be mowed?

horstuff

LawnSite Member
I planted an Oregon Coast seed mix September 7, so 2.5 almost 3 weeks ago... it is now average 3" high. See pic, which has a 4" wood block to show blade height. When can I mow this new lawn?

grass.jpg

OP
H

horstuff

LawnSite Member
So if it's average 3.5 inches when i cut it, cut maybe just down to 3 inches, then do exact same thing again a few days later, and then go down to 2.5 inches and maintain it there?

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
So if it's average 3.5 inches when i cut it, cut maybe just down to 3 inches, then do exact same thing again a few days later, and then go down to 2.5 inches and maintain it there?
Yes the just take enough off to make it look nice. I'd say for the first 2 or 3 mows cut it 3 or even 3.5in.

KerbDMK

LawnSite Gold Member
I recommend that it should be mowed to the height you intend to maintain it at right from the start. If you cut it higher first then lower next time, it then needs to adjust to a new lower height of cut for a second time.

Mow it to 2.5 inches now, while not breaking the one-third rule, and your lawn will not need to adjust to a new height of cut for a second time.

OP
H

horstuff

LawnSite Member
It last rained here about 36 hours ago... still ok to mow for the first time? It's been sunny and semi-warm since.

Oh jeez... to further complicate, the weather service said it *may* get close to frost temps this weekend, but we are on the coast and Id be amazed if that happens. Does that matter in all this?

Last edited:
OP
H

horstuff

LawnSite Member
well, it went *ok*, but there is an area that doesn't get as much sun as the rest and the push mower did create very slight wheel tracks in the underlying turf, because it isn't as dry there. Hopefully they'll spring back?

KerbDMK

LawnSite Gold Member
Thanks for the follow-up and congratulations on your first mow! I don't really think you have anything to worry about. Young grass is tougher than we tend to think it is. You have a nice stand of grass there, great work so far. I'm sure you'll really enjoy your new lawn. Thumbs Up