Ready to Buy Turfco XT8 Last Minute Feedback

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Dimple, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Dimple

Dimple LawnSite Member

Guys, I know this a thread that we’ve seen a lot in some form or another. However, it’s another big purchase and I want to be sure. I’ve read and researched the Turfco XT8 exhaustively. Some local guys with huge companies have tried to steer me away from the new Turfco XT8 rider, saying it’s way too much to spend on an aerator. They are old skool 30 year Ryan drum operators. Although they’ve never owned a Turfco Xt8, they've voiced future problems arising with 1. Core consistency, especially in too dry or too wet conditions (it won’t pull consistently full plugs they say), 2. “The front caster wheels will get stuck in overly wet turf and tear lawn apart or need tow, or will not be productive on slopes, and finally 3. The longevity of the machine, in particular the engine will smoke and burn up from motor oil sloshing back and forth on slopes and hills in ops.

Aeration and turf renovation is a completely new service offering for me. I’ve been doing Lawncare, mostly mowing and snow since 2006. I’ve overseeded by hand or slit seeder and aearated with a Ryan Lawnaire IV on very small scale. I need the service diversity, as the market is overcrowded at times with much competition offering every service.

Thoughts please, as I’ve talked with several one year owners and Jeff at Turfco. I won’t be able to pay this off as of right now for sometime. In fact, the payoff will come from hard work with a great working, consistent machine.

Thanks again,
    D

americanlawn likes this.
  2. xxl

xxl LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

i like my turfco my the xt5 good company cant say anything about xt8 but if its as good as 5 you ll be happy

3. Wayne Spangler

Wayne Spangler LawnSite Member

Love the XT5's, hated the XT8. Exchanged it for several XT5's. Great company to work with.

4. tdoeizreal

tdoeizreal LawnSite Senior Member

First off, don't listen to those guys. Ride on's are great. If you are going to go all in and get a rider off the jump, I suggest checking out the new Stinger ride on. If your spending that much, might as well check out your options.

5. xxl

from MO

The xt8 for me is over kill thats why i dont have it and cant say anything on it

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

TURFCO XT8 is the best stand-on aerator on the market (bought the first one in Iowa). Trying to sell our Exmark stand-on's so we can buy more XT8's. Exmark/Toro aren't bad machines, but...... Also >>> do not buy Ryan's version (several reasons). TURFCO might hate me for this, but we sold our XT5 walk-behind aerators (too bulky & not as nimble as our 3 small TURFCO & Ryan walk-behinds for small areas & trimming). The XT8 is also our favorite for aerating AND for seed jobs. Best on hills/slopes, pulls more & better plugs, extremely low maintenance, more power, and several other good things. yep

7. OP
    OP
    Dimple

Dimple LawnSite Member

A little off subject but did your XT5’s pull good consistent plugs too? I’m a little uneducated about the science behind just a 25lb weight or 3, VS weight of a water drum walk unit or hydraulic down pressure of a stand on. Just skeptically curious.

8. OP
    OP
    Dimple

Dimple LawnSite Member

Good, consistent plugs on XT5’s? No water drum weight?

9. xxl

from MO

I am happy with the plugs out of my xt5 I do like the hydro drive you have to get used to it but i like it

10. Stinger Equipment

Stinger Equipment Sponsor

Larry, are you ready to try one of the Quad-Aer 3600s?

RABBITMAN11 likes this.