Ready to Buy Turfco XT8 Last Minute Feedback

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Dimple, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Boilerturf17

Boilerturf17 LawnSite Member

Definitely need to check out the stinger. With the lack of maintenance and the significant increase in productivity I see no reason why the others would even be considered.

2. Turfco

Turfco Sponsor

To Dan & anyone else looking at the XT8 give us a call or shoot us a message & we'd be more than happy to talk to you about why the XT8 is right for your business.

Here's a quick video from one of many happy XT8 owners

Turfco Direct
    763-785-1000
    DirectSales@turfco.com

americanlawn likes this.
  3. Timothy Trimmer

Timothy Trimmer LawnSite Member

We purchased two Turfco XT8 two years ago. We were very excited to get a well built machine that can pop over curbs and cover a lot of ground. Currently we maintain 700 acres of commercial HOA's and we really thought this machine would help lower our labor for fall aeration. Unfortunately that has not been the case and in a industry with razor thin margins I wanted to make sure other business owners know before they purchase their hard earned money.

Both of our machines have not worked out well for us, but here are the things we have had to repair in the first 200 hours of one of our machines.

• Solenoid that controls the up and down. Happened first week, was covered under warranty
    • Second week replaced leaking hydraulic cylinder was under warranty
    • Shaft above the hydraulic piston is bent due to pressure
    • Had to replace the hydraulic belt within 2 weeks
    • Flawed design of the tines. Abnormal amounts needing replaced
    • Poor quality of chain and breaks often.
    • Electrical grounding issues
    • Front tires shipped were dry rotted, we had to replace
    • Sprockets constantly getting loose
    • Hub constantly getting loose, cheap washers provided bend and wear out quickly
    • Bearings were shot by 190 hours
    • All factory fasteners are not well made.
    • Hydraulic tank cap needed replaced, old one leaked...
    • Tine shaft worn out by the key way slot, eventually will strip out
    • Breaks down once a week on average

RABBITMAN11 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Dimple

Dimple LawnSite Member

Lol! Holy **** man...Been using the XT5 a little the last 2 seasons. I think I’ll stick with for a while.

Michael J. Donovan likes this.
  5. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

No choice but the stinger! NO CHAINS! Speed is matched. Also now featuring a new integrated digital seeder. The true inventors of the ride on aerator. I’ve used them all and the stinger is in a class of its own.

6. OP
    OP
    Dimple

Dimple LawnSite Member

I will say on Turfco’s behalf, my XT5 has been great. Subaru engine is very nice, quiet. I either have the clients water or go when it’s soaked after a rain. I don’t do a ton so I can be picky with the moisture level. The thing does some great, deep core plugs, sometimes 4 inch. The hydro w/ reverse is a nice feature in tight areas like by trees or when turning around concrete edges or structures. Easy to get up and off trailer, tie down holes all over the back. No issues yet with machine in a year and a half, although I haven’t put a lot of hours on yet.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  7. Timothy Trimmer

Timothy Trimmer LawnSite Member

Our shaft broke recently and our mechanics noticed the new shaft they ordered has only ONE Cotter pin in each area.

As you can see from the second picture the old shaft broke and where it broke they had two cotter pins in the same location making that part of the shaft very week.

I am sure they changed the shaft because their old shafts where snapping often. In which case Turfco should have recalled the old weak shaft and sent everyone a new shaft before it broke in the field.

XT8.jpg Xt81.jpg

8. Turfco

Turfco Sponsor

Timothy,

Saw your post & sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having with your aerators. I'll have our service department reach out to you today to make sure your aerators are up & running for you.

Jeff Lundholm
    Turfco Mfg

9. Green Mentorship

Green Mentorship LawnSite Member

Being proactive like that only makes sense doesn't it? I dont know if that reflects the world we live in though. Stinger makes (made) changes on the fly and they didn't notify us of the changes until I complained. Then they sent updates parts. It sucks but it's reality.