Real world dowsing

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by 1idejim, Mar 7, 2019.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I’ve said many times how much dowsing benefits me when I’m running machinery. Need to replace this iron line with pvc.

Dowsed the line in a few spots and dug to it. So far it’s still in one piece.

886587F3-49D0-4D9A-8D7F-04AB63499F46.jpeg

2. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

I’m a dowser too! I had to find and raise all the heads in a set of baseball fields once. They redid the fields and added about 6inches of soil and didn’t do anything to the heads...no forethought. I dowsed all of the lines and potholed all the heads.

The hardest problem was that the sprays that watered between the baselines and the backstops wouldn’t come up...no pressure. Finally found the laterals had been cut in the baselines. Before the redo the baselines held water badly so they took a 36” auger and drilled sumps down the 1st and 3rd baselines and filled them with rock to drain the baselines. They drilled right through the laterals and never knew it I guess. So when the system came on the laterals drained into the sumps so no water came to daylight to identify the leaks.

hort101 likes this.
  3. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

How come u didn't dowse it with your digilog 900

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I traced my buddies waterline in a pinch a few years back...
    Worked out well..

He never saw it when he put in the septic.

hort101 likes this.
  5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Without giving out your secret recipe are you using willow sticks like used to be done in the olden days or is this a more modern way?

RussellB likes this.
  7. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

I think the only was in the olden days. I remember my dad locating the septic drain field with coat hangers as a kid!

I watched a water district guy locate the shut off for a fire hydrant using the rods the other week. WHY I HAVE NOT TAKEN TO TIME TO LEARN THIS IS BEYOND ME! It's very cool

RussellB and hort101 like this.
  8. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

Check this video out that Jim made the other year!!!

Ron Wolfarth and hort101 like this.
  9. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

Part of the reason for using the willow was because its branches seek water I dont know if that is true or just myth
    Did the coathanger work?

10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

Cool thanks for postingThumbs UpThumbs Up