1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Reality Check. Please

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Hamatsa, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Hamatsa

Hamatsa LawnSite Member

So....I'm not connecting with new customers this year. I've been severely underbid for Spring clean ups, de-thatching/core aeration jobs, and weekly maintenance for residential customers. My pricing has always been in line and I haven't seriously increased my bids as a result of the increased fuel costs.

I pay insurance and workman's comp.

I also have been able to outwait the new yearly crop of lowballers however one dethatch/core aerate customer (potential) told me that a guy came in 90 bucks less for a 3500 sq/ft lawn.

I also know that folks are really desparate.

Any thoughts on changing the business model? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. TinMan1

TinMan1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SC

Oh yeah! the economy sucks and Im thinking of letting someone cut my 5 acre yard for $20. Im underbid all the time. Got a few hispanics with a white pickup and a lawn tractor cutting 3000sq yds for $10

I still dont drop the gate for under $35

3. johnwright238

johnwright238 LawnSite Member

Do not drop your prices. Stick with quality work and raise the bar on advertising to score more jobs to make up for the lost jobs