Really sick of hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by upidstay, Feb 20, 2018.

1. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I lost a customer a few years back, because her veterinarian told her that her dog would get kidney damage from fertilizer salts absorbed through the pads on her paws. Synthetic ferts are basically salts. I understand the vets basic scientific argument, but I disagree with it. Anyway, customer is happier with applying some organic stuff herself. She's a very nice lady with two terrific dogs. We parted ways amicably, and she emails me occasionally with questions she may have.

Ran into the lady a few days ago, she tells me about this WONDERFUL ice melt product her vet is selling. Perfectly safe for animals. Won't hurt them at all. Found a jug of it. It's Urea pellets. 100% UREA.:wall

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

So, if the vet sells it everything is ok but if you sell it, not so much. Wondering if the vet will start carrying "pet friendly" fertilizer.

paulsgrass and zlandman like this.
  3. Trillium Landscaping

Trillium Landscaping LawnSite Member

You need your clients to trust you as a business owner, as much as they trust their vet.

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

It's unfortunate that there is so much misinformation out there.
    Years ago I had a client who told her that since horticultural oil was a registered pesticide it was dangerous for her dogs.

zlandman, Mark Oomkes and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Had the same issue with MPede soap. "Is it safe?" Yes. Totally. I wouldn't drink it, but..."Well, why can't we drink it?!" Ummmm, because it's soap???

zlandman and hort101 like this.
  6. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

here in Austin, folks often ask us if we use that "really dangerous stuff"---Round Up... I then ask where they heard that it was dangerous...they cite California and prattle on about carcinogens etc....I'd like to roll my eyes and just walk off

zlandman and KerbDMK like this.
  7. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon LawnSite Member

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

While M-Pede is OMRI Listed, it is EPA registered and has a Warning label as it causes substantial but temporary eye injury and may be harmful to aquatic invertebrates.

9. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

They left out some interesting things about prop 65.

It's expensive to have a lot of products tested for every single substance on the list.

Stickers are cheap.

There are penalties for failure to put the label on products that contain any of the substances but no penalty for putting labels on products that don't actually contain carcinogens.

Many companies just throw the labels on their products to cover their asses without actually knowing if they contain any carcinogens because the cost to have the product tested isn't cost effective.

zlandman likes this.
  10. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

As I gave a quote to a lady in the country standing in her backyard she doesn't want the yard sprayed because its always windy and the "stuff" will kill ALL the trees.. as we stand there an ag sprayer covers the field behind with nozzles 3' off the ground. !?!?

This same lady had printed a bunch of stuff off the internet to use to accost me. Said if you fertilize the yard and then stop the grass will get "wimpy" (duh?) LOL people are idiot's what can we say.