1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Really tired of explaining why I cost more than others!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Jul 19, 2000.

1. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I'm not saying anyones right or wrong, but man that seems high as hell. If you can get it more power to you. Just wondering how much time you spend on a property like that, just mowing , edging , trimming and blowing?Checked out your home page , too much talk about scrubs here. What is tree + scrub care?

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

&quot;TheLawnGuy: Agreed, see my point though? If you find one lawn and charge $25.00, then the<br>guy 2 houses down the street has a service charging $35.00, they switch to you because you are &quot;cheaper&quot;, the other guy gets kicked out and it snowballs from there. Basically by the first lawn getting charged so low, you have just lowered the bar for all others!&quot;<p>To set the record straight I would not bid on just &quot;one&quot; hoping to get others-you will usually get burned doing it this way. If I am asked to bid on a single lawn, thru referral (the only way Ill take new customers BTW) I will check out the prospective customers lawn and tell them that Ill get back to them in a day or two with a price. In reality I already have my price in mind, and knowing its a referral theres almost no way Im going to miss this bid. So then I go to the neighbors and start asking, Im doing Mr x's lawn, lets discuss what I can do for you since Im going to be in the neighborhood anyways. As long as I get at least one more customer in addition to the referral Im good to go. If I cant get others within a one-stop distance Ill call Mr x and tell him sorry, I cant seem to fit it in my schedule this season. Then next spring if Im still fishing for more work Ill return to the block and try again.<p>Kirby, I think the main point to this thread is, if your selling Mercedes Benz you dont go putting your business cards on every Hyundai in the mall parking lot. Stop trying to sell your caviar to these folks with pb and j's in their lunch bags.<p>Bill

3. OP
    OP
    KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Todd, thanks for the notice on the typo! I just fixed it.<p>TheLawnGuy, you answered my question, sounds good, and thanks. The getting burned part is what I'm getting at, your plan sounds good, I hope others use it. As far at the car and sandwich innuendo, this is not a PB&J or Hyundi area or home. I did not put my card on the windshield, they found my web site and seeked my service. Thanks for the info!<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn

4. Bladecutter

Bladecutter Guest

Up here in central NY there are guys (many)charging a buck a minute in the high rent districts and the home owners pay it willingly. I the lower rent areas we get $30. per for residential but 50.00 yo 70.00 for a comperable size commercial account.

5. stick

stick LawnSite Member

Let me tell you somethng that I did last month. I talked to all the LMO's I could find working in the areas where I have accounts. Asked them what they are charging per. cut or monthly. Then asked them if they are making any money for them selfs instend of at the mercy of buying parts for our mowers. Most of them said &quot;NO&quot; am not making any money and wish other LMO's would price they self's at a higher rate. Everyone I talk too said exectly the same thing.<p>I told them I was raising my prices on any new bids and old accounts, and asked them not to take any of old accounts due to the fact that they would be shopping around for better prices. We all agree to that and I had some of guys that I talked too accounts asking me too bid there lawns, I did at the new prices that we all agreed on.<p>They all stayed with there old lawn guy.<p>You'll must find a price and stick too it, even with the competion or we will all lose! <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: stick

6. OP
    OP
    KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Stick, that's great! When I got started I took a survey of local lawn services. I found the going rate for a pro services was $30.-35.00 per cut, so when I started I set my minimum at $35.00. I have not wavered from that price (with the exception of the 3 old ladies with small lawns). Have lost some jobs, sure. None of my competition can look at me a point the finger blameing me for low prices.<p>I meet twice month at the Carolina Grounds Management Association, we talk and share ideas, and yes, we even share our prices! I would much rather have a level playing field when bidding, and have very competitive prices, anyway, I have no secrets.<p>Ray<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

&quot;I would much rather have a level playing field when bidding,&quot;<p>Screw that, Id rather be King of the Hill. A level playing field didnt get me, as a solo operator, my 4-bedroom home in an affluent community, decent truck (bought new) and equipment (also purchased new) and a nice car . BTW all but the home are owned free and clear.<p>&quot;None of my competition can look at me a point the finger blameing me for low prices.&quot;<p>If you spend your days worrying about what the competition thinks of you or your pricing then be satisfied with your two-room cold water flat and twelve year old truck with the rotted cab.<p>Kirby this isnt directed at you personally but at LCO's in general who have the &quot;follow the flock&quot; mentality. <p>Bill

8. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Kirby, Thats an excellent letter.It pretty <br>well covers everything that needs covering.<p>Karl<br>

9. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I looked at the original post again, and kind of answered my own question . That is not high as hell, seems very reasonable for a monthly charge, i average about $35 for crappy yards up to very nice $500k houses with hardly any lawn.

10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

attribute the mow & blow guys' cheap pricing in your neighborhoods to the fact that they don't know they're losing money. I didn't know my first year, but I figured it out quick and fixed it. <p>I would love to do what Stick did, but it is impossible around here because there are too many contractors. On the next street over from my house there are 20 houses and there are 6 different companies doing 8 of those lawns. Add 2 more different companies for every next block you go to.