1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Really tired of explaining why I cost more than others!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Jul 19, 2000.

1. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

The first part of my post got cut off so I'll try to remember what I wrote. <br>Ray,<br>So to compare apples to apples you're charging that customer $195.00month for full service. That's a good price, although I doubt yopu'd get it around here & I'll explain why below. I get my residential accounts the same way Thelawnguy said in his post. I do try to get new commercial accounts without referals if I think I want them. With the exception of 2 very profitable commercial accounts, all of my mowing is within 2 sq. miles. I agree with your theory about lowering the bar, but I assure you that I didn't start it here (although I'm contributing by not sticking to the prices I wanted on these lawns) I tried to get $30.00cut from 2 of these referred clusters but they told me they were paying only $22.00. I told them $25.00 was my minimum & got them. They are easy, quick and profitable lawns so I wasn't really concerned about wether I was bringing the market price down. My choice was get 3 or 4 lawns on a street, or not have those lawns. I'm in a market where there are 100's of cutters so its hard to push pricing higher with so many people to choose from.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

One other thing you guys have missed is that some people really see no value in having their lawn maintained. They just want it cut. Plain and simple. You can drive thru these $300k+ neighborhoods and see lawns done professionally, ones done semi-profesionally :) , ones done by the homeowner that look professionally done and ones done by the homeowner at their whim. Some people just want their grass cut so it isn't a field. These are the ones you just continue to drive by and shake your head until the house goes up for sale and hope maybe the new owner wants the lawn to look good at the price you want.