Really,Why no discharge? Lesco Commercial 52 ZTR

Taylor'd Design

LawnSite Member
Any help will be appreciated! You will not believe this. I am stumped!! I have a Lesco Commercial 52 ZTR that I just bought. It's a front deck mower with a Kohler CH25 hp engine. It is clean, low 920 hrs, barn kept, and runs great. It will not discharge out the side chute. Perfect spindles, new belts, new blades all tried Low lift, Gators, and Super High Lift...all the same. Not a thing! Comes out the chute. No thing short or tall on the ground, with deck high or low...low. No blast out the side chute. It has some stuff come out the edges a short distance, blowout out on the trim side, a little out the front trim side, and it will scatter to the very edge of the deck all around but not far...but almost no cut...even much of the pine needles on the bare asphalt drive, blown not cut. Leaving some small debris in the middle and clear in the left and right blade path, to the edge only.
Mowing grass 5 to 6 inches tall at 3.5....down to deck on lowest setting about 1.5" and all you get is ….no discharge, scalloped or wavy blade path with really uneven cut and carrot tops at edges, some cut, twisted looking grass in the lower cut scallops, with there being a slight rise where the blade tips run in strips on center.
No the blades are not upside down.
I have tried adjusting the rake in small stages for level 0 rake to 3/4 of an inch down forward. All the blades above, except mulching type have been tried with the result being the same ragged looking cut. No side discharge.
The deck is 4-1/2 inches deep, flat topped. Looks exactly like the Toro Time Cutter deck in this photo, except the blades reach closer to the front deck wall, with a short baffle at the discharge chute. Deck edges have lip like this deck, rolled under about 3/4 an inch, blades run no spacers at 5/8 inch up in deck, above the lip. There are no holes in the lip...anywhere which means to me, there are no blowout baffles missing or ever used on this deck. No open holes, extra holes anywhere on this deck, edges or sides. It is missing the deflector at the open chute. That is all!
What is going on?
They built this mower to side discharge, and it does not blow a thing out the side hole! Unbelievable!
upload_2019-9-25_22-12-28.png

Not my mower in this photo, just looks like this.
upload_2019-9-25_22-22-12.png

OP
T

Taylor'd Design

LawnSite Member
Let me add.
The Lesco runs at full throttle and full blade rpm with all the blades I tried. All shafts, PTO, and couplings are right and good. There is some small change in top RPM blade spin with the Super High Lift Oregon blades, but plenty to make it howl, and surely to make something come out the chute. Let me not bore you with all my 58 years of great mechanic skills. Just know all the blades are turning in the right direction at a full commercial roar. I know you read this and think....no way, something has to be coming out that open end of the deck. Nope.
If you can help, jump right in. I have never worked this many hours and got less results …. EVER!

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic
Let me add.
The Lesco runs at full throttle and full blade rpm with all the blades I tried. All shafts, PTO, and couplings are right and good. There is some small change in top RPM blade spin with the Super High Lift Oregon blades, but plenty to make it howl, and surely to make something come out the chute. Let me not bore you with all my 58 years of great mechanic skills. Just know all the blades are turning in the right direction at a full commercial roar. I know you read this and think....no way, something has to be coming out that open end of the deck. Nope.
If you can help, jump right in. I have never worked this many hours and got less results …. EVER!
Is the discharge shoot open ?????

OP
T

Taylor'd Design

LawnSite Member
Found it! Man! I just snapped to my own ...just added post. I went to look one more time..."Are you sure it's powered up running in the right direction?" So I checked just now...and saw that the "Shaft driven Right angle drive box" on the deck had been changed....it had that New, but surface rusty, clean no oil or grease look...Texas Gulf Coast rusty is common even in the barn on this humid coast. The box is WRONG! It Runs backwards of what it is supposed to with this shaft driven deck. I just never saw that it was turning the blades backwards in all the time I was working on it. Fooled myself! This deck with it's double sided 5/8 v-belt, running without it's cover is fearsome to behold at full throttle.. cover off! I checked all the blades turned in the same direction...by HAND, but shut the cover turn on the blade drive.
Lesson learned...If it runs backwards it don't mow right!
Have a good laugh....with me, at me!
Really I'm just so glad to find the problem.
I paid $150 for it, it needs to run and mow my grass right!
Now where is that Grainger catalog?

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Let me add.
Could you post a video?