Rear carrier for T3000

sidepipes

LawnSite Member
I just ordered a 2012 T3000. I also just spoke to someone who said he wouldn't recommend using a rear carrier because he has seen the frame on the truck crack from the extra weight. They use a small trailer instead. They also had to use helpers to keep it from bottoming out when they used a carrier.

Has anybody else had this problem? What about reinforcing the frame?
Thanks,
Dennis

rcreech

Sponsor
I just ordered a 2012 T3000. I also just spoke to someone who said he wouldn't recommend using a rear carrier because he has seen the frame on the truck crack from the extra weight. They use a small trailer instead. They also had to use helpers to keep it from bottoming out when they used a carrier.

Has anybody else had this problem? What about reinforcing the frame?
Thanks,
Dennis

Been using racks for 6 years.

Use a double receiver and you will be fine!

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
I to use a carrier rack and no problems here. it's been 2 years.

A bigger problem would be if you didn't remember it was there when backing up.

Charles Cue

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Double receiver type is far stronger. Short is not strong. The receiver tubes should be 36 inches long and secured underneath to to frame members on each side with several heavy duty bolts. See my photos. I used my one ton truck--which I later sold.

Steep driveways are a slight problem at times.

So true--DO NOT FORGET to raise the ramps before moving the truck.

Magnetic "Just say not to crabgrass" signs are still for sale cheap Also say "no to grubs" "no to weeds".

turfcobob

LawnSite Senior Member
I ran with one from B & B Tech out of Tekehma, Nebraska for two years. Tons of miles summer and winter crap. It was on my Dodge 3/4 ton so it got jolted a bunch. Only problem I had was a little rust so I got a can of paint. Really liked the ease of loading and I did use tie downs for security. My reciever was factory installed so it held good.
I see tons of them when I visit the TG branches as they use a lot of them.

DLCS

LawnSite Platinum Member
Bob, Does yours have a single reciever tube or do you have a double tube? I honestly don't think the weight of a T-3000 is any different than me running my tailgate salt spreader in the winter, while using a single tube setup. I never gave a second thought about all the weight of the spreader when full. I have 500+ lbs. of salt in there all the time and have used that spreader on 4 different trucks with 0 problems. Knock on Wood!

Rayholio

LawnSite Bronze Member
STAY AWAY! This carrier totalled my machine, and they refused to stand behind their product after the fact. A trugreen branch also had this happen. I'm sure there are others we havn't heard from.

Rayholio

LawnSite Bronze Member
Note how the wheel stops have deflected downward.... the top ones have deflected upwards... and the vertical ones were pushed out.. My machine pushed right over the wheel stops into the street.

Here's another view... also note the rust.

This rack was less than 6 months old.

So.. if you want a barely used T3K rack... I'll sell ya mine for $100 :)

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Fertilizer attracts humidity. Rust is a serious problem. Be prepared to deal with it--early and often. For certain parts, aluminum, wood or galvanized is an advantage.
Be ready to deal with the weight when the hopper and tank are half full. And don't forget the leverage effect. The effect of a hundred pounds carried close to the hitch is multiplied several times when the same weight is carried 3 feet from the hitch.

Be ready to deal with the dynamic forces. Hitting a pothole or RR track at speed causes a lot more force than just the weight. Not sure, but I expect your equipment could hop 3 inches high under the right circumstances. Don't take chances. Chain it down. Its the law.

And BTW does anyone know of a way to prevent the truck from starting or moving,...unless the back gate is up? Ride-on carrier or trailer...results could be disastrous.

indyturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ray, that's a lot of rust for only 6 months!! I used the old PG carriers for years that were made out of galvanized metal and never had a problem. but I did have my hitch crack!! I would go with the double receiver, I had one built by a local welder a few years back and I could do jumping jacks on the thing and it would barley move. also go with stainless if possible. cost much more but will last.