Rebuild Kawasaki FH500v

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a backup Exmark Turf Tracer 48 with pretty much new everything. Its a 2005 I think.

Anyhow the 17hp blew the case gasket and started leaking oil bad. I did a compression test to find 60/65psi in each cylinder. A leak down exposed blow by the rings and intake valve.

The engine runs and sounds good. No weird knocks or ticks.

I tore the engine down last night and heads look good aside from needing a good valve lapping. I found wear on the #2 piston rod bearing and possible wear on the cam lobes. The top case bearing / bushing should be replaced since it's torn down.

My question is should I rebuild this engine and if I do should I replace the cam and #2 piston rod? Also the lower case bearings (2 bearings in the lower case?) look a bit knard up.

Overall I haven't found any discoloration from overheating issues.

I'll try to get some pictures of cam and rod tonight.
IMG_20190922_122230.jpg
IMG_20190922_170340.jpg

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
It doesn't make sense, if you're going to tear it down not to replace any and all worn parts. If it has wear replace it. Add up all the cost. Would it be better to buy a new engine, or short block it? Then rebuild this one and keep it for back up?

OP
Tn Turf

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
It doesn't make sense, if you're going to tear it down not to replace any and all worn parts. If it has wear replace it. Add up all the cost. Would it be better to buy a new engine, or short block it? Then rebuild this one and keep it for back up?
Valid point!. I was just hoping to get out of it all for about $200 with the ring rebuild kit on psep.com. it's a recoil start so not gonna be using it much. Blek

I forgot I just put on a brand new set of OEM coils as you can see in the first picture.

It's about $200 or $300 more to replace the worn parts

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
If the walls are not scored and everything is in good shape, ya rebuild it.

OP
Tn Turf

Tn Turf

LawnSite Senior Member
The parts diagram list shows the upper case crank bushing/bearing part#, but no part# for the lower. Anyone know if 2 upper crank bearings will fit in the lower case? I think Kawasaki wants people to buy the entire lower case which is like $115. What a huge waste.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Check the crank for scoring. How much will it be if you replaced pretty much all the innards.

rippinryno

LawnSite Gold Member
I'd be checking those valves and the head if it needs lapping. you don't just lap the old valves in, you'll likely need, at the very least, new valves. or you can just roll with what you got.