1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rebuild or replace Kohler 20 hp?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

To make a long story short, I had a blown head and intake gasket on a 20 hp Kohler Comand engine on a walker mower about a year ago. It took two different kohler mechanics and much lost time to determine the problem.

I am having the same symptoms again...loss of power, missing, backfiring, and it just plain doesn't sound right (believe me I know how it should sound when it is running right). Took it back to the mechanic who fixed it last year and he cleaned carb and put in new plugs. I runs somewhat better, but still isn't right. I feel either the intake or head gasket is leaking again.

My question.....what should it cost to completely have this motor rebuilt? , or, would I be better off replacing the motor. I know Dave had them for sale last year at around $1200 delivered. By the way it has only 800+ hours on it.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't know the figures but I'll bet that for your time and trouble, new is the way to go.

it might even have a warranty.

GEO

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If it has another blown gead gasket, it may be that the cylinder head is warped. Have that checked before buying a new one. I had a Briggs one time that kept blowning gead gaskets. I finally got wise and bought a new head and that ended the problem.