1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

rebuilding older exmark greaseable spindles

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mckell68, Apr 8, 2003.

1. mckell68

mckell68 LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I just spent $35 in shop time to have a spindle rebuilt at the exmark dealer. Has anybody on the site taken on this job themselves? I am pretty handy around the shop, and like to avoid paying out for shop time if I can do it myself. Are any special tools/techniques needed to do this? Any comments or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks---Mike

2. KG Lawncare

KG Lawncare LawnSite Member

I do it myself. You, of course have to buy the new bearings. The most valuable tool in this process is a shop press. I have an older one that utilizes a hydraulic jack. Maybe someone you know has one. A set of snap-ring pliers are needed. Just take the old snap-rings out, press-out the shaft and the bearings. Buy the new bearings, and new snap-rings, if needed. Check the shaft for straight-ness. Clean the exposed ends of the shaft with steel wool before re-assembly. Then just press the bearings back on during re-assembly. You probably already have an idea on how to do it, if you watched them at the shop. If not, you will figure it out during dis-assembly and re-assembly. One bearing will be pressed onto the shaft, then the shaft with bearing and cover plate will be held in the housing, while the other bearing is pressed-on. Add the last cover plate, with the little screws that hold it in place. Put the snap-rings on, and grease completely. Check and double-check yourself often during the process, and you should be fine. Let me know how you make out. Have fun. After 2 or 3 times, it gets easier and easier......JIM...

3. KG Lawncare

I forgot to mention...Make sure you clean the exposed ends of the shaft completely BEFORE you press the bearings OUT. That will help the process. A little lubricant added wouldn't hurt either.
    JIM...

4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Old metro 36that I blew out the right blade spindle bering and was wondering if I ordered a complete spindle assembly would I order a short or long shaft spindle assembly. Exmarkdealer wants $93.00 but I have found one at mow more on line for $50.00 but I not sure if I need a long or short spindle for my 7 year old 36 metro. can anyone help?

5. KG Lawncare

I am not familiar with the particular type of mower...but...generally you can tell from the pulleys attached. A single belt pulley would be attached to a short shaft. Double pulleys are attached to the long shafts. I don't own a 36 incher, but several 48 inchers. Mine have the long shaft in the middle, with the double pulley, and the short shafts are left and right of that, with the single pulleys. I know of an LCO in town, and if I see him at the coffee shop this week, I will ask him. He has a couple of 36" mowers.