Lawn Care Forum banner

Rebuilt 09 Chevy Silverado 3500HD After Tornado, New Flatbed

18K views 66 replies 23 participants last post by  93Chevy 
#1 ·
So my bros house and our shop got destroyed in a tornado June 5 2010...

We lost mowers, trucks, trailers, Cars, plows, salters... Everything!

So I bought back our 09 Silverado... And rebuilt it...

So what you guys think? Still needs more work, but it works for now, and is street legal...

Some of the stuff i did...
  • New Hood
  • New Passenger Side Fender
  • New Radiator
  • New Windows (Front, Rear, Both Sides)
  • New Cab lights
  • New Headlights
  • New Grille
  • New Washer Fluid Pump
  • New Flatbed

I also added...
  • Wooden Sides
  • Reverse Lights
  • Work Lights
And much more...

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

Bus Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

See less See more
#9 ·
Looks really nice and I bet it is very rewarding to have salvaged it.
Nice job!!
Thanks! Yes, worth every hour and penny...

only one problem however wheres the replacement bug shield and back of that mirror:hammerhead:
Umm, like i said, still needs more stuff... I plan on getting towing mirrors anyway...

And i still gotta replace both cab corners and doors... Its all just funding... I havent had many plowable events this winter... So im not gonna spend the money yet...

#11 ·
sorry didnt read any of your first post just went to the pics it has come a long way
Its ok... Thanks tho!

I aslo gotta add mud flaps, and fix my stupid turn signals... It thinks that the bulbs are out i guess... But their not...

#13 ·
good job. would have never known it was all smashed. How do you get your plow to back drag that good? i have the same plow and it sucks back dragging.
Thanks man!

Umm, i dont know... Nothing special, no back dragging edge or anything... I kno i need more ballast, so maybe, just maybe the lack of weight puts more pressure on the blade when i back drag...

But its now that great IMO... I would actually like a back dragging edge...

#15 ·
it looks fantastic, i've never liked a flat bed on anything but a dually, but thats just a personal preference. You've done a great job with it, did you rebuild anything else that was damaged in the tornado?

#17 ·
Holy cow man...great improvement. Do you salt the lots with the broadcast spreader? Do you have any plans for a V-box when the funds are available?

Looks like you managed to make the best out of a real bad situation.
Thanks! Nope, just the sidewalks... I had a v-box last season, but the tornado killed it lol... Im thinking about fixing it up and making it electric... (It was gas)...

it looks fantastic, i've never liked a flat bed on anything but a dually, but thats just a personal preference. You've done a great job with it, did you rebuild anything else that was damaged in the tornado?
Thanks man!! Well its a single rear wheel, and the original bed was junk... And i decided that a flatbed it better than a regular bed for many many reasons... And it was actually cheaper than a take off bed... So i got a flat bed, i love this thing, the possablities are endless!

Yes, my bro rebuilt our Exmark Metro... And i rebuild our JD 647A, a pushmower, and my snow blower...

I plan to fix out Craftsman 33 WB just to have...
Also i want to 1 if not both of out STIHL BR550's
And like i said, maybe fix my b-box and make it an electric...

your right on that i hate flat beds on any thing less than a f250 4x4 i had a friend that had one on a s10 that was a sight to see
Well this is better!!! First, its a CHEVY!!! Second, its a 3500HD!!! :cool2::weightlifter::laugh:

#26 ·
Looks great,it came out nice,great job.i really like it.
Thanks!
looking 4 a light wieght bed for my dodge 1500 would be more useful LOOKS GOOD!
You might look at aluminum, or steel, and peef up your suspension... Im no expert tho...
How much did you buy it back for?
Hmm, $5,500... Plus 500 for fees and stuff like that)
That trucks been through hell and back already. I like the rebuild, looks good as a flatbed.
Thanks! If you think this 1 got it bad, u should a saw the Cadillac (it was pretty much un identifiable), my bros 99 2500 with a brand new crate motor (under 5,000 miles on it)... Totaled beyond repair (well it would have costed a ton), and his suburban got flipped over, and his wifes caviler got destroyed too...
so how tweaked was the frame anyway
None at all... It had our trailer (with all the mowers on it still) attached, and the truck didnt even move... It got hit on the driver side by his wifes car... And a wall of the house his the passenger side (well kinda)... And it got blasted with all kinds a crap...
I bet the frame isn't even bent since there was no moving impact. Looks like just sheet metal damage. Pretty nice way to total out a truck.
Have you priced a used bed for it?
Correct, all sheet metal (and a radiator)
No... I just put a brand new flat bed on it...
why does he need a used bed he already has a flat bed on it and it looks good with the flatbed
nice recovery
Lol, you got it...
And thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.