Lawn Care Forum banner
61 - 80 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good call! We spend quite a bit on this as well. We have cut back since China Plague became a thing just because it's a hassle often with limited staff.

I go out to lunch everyday so that's probably $10 day. So $200 month. Wife does Starbucks every morning so that's probably $7 day. So $140 month. Then we probably order pizza 1x week so that's like $30. So $120 month. Then we probably order take out of some kind at least 1x week so that's like $40. So $160 month. Then we probably average 1 dinner out a week with friends so that probably $80. So $320 month. Then figure miscellaneous Starbucks or random whatever at even a $100 month (prob a lot more).

So total: $1,040......wow and it's probably more. Plus who knows what we spend at the grocery store.
Check out Nespresso Vertuo espresso machines. The biggest cost is the machine itself but it'll be paid off in no time compared to Starbucks every day. Per drink it's much cheaper than starbucks ($1.00 per pod +/- a few dimes) and it tastes better too. It does espressos and coffee. We have a Nespresso store nearby but we usually just order what we want on-line. Their official website has a better selection that what is available on Amazon. If she likes lattes or cappuccinos there are cheaper milk frothers than the official Nespresso one and just as good on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Starbucks is the most disgusting coffee ☕ out there. Their sugary drinks are ok.
We make coffee at home from Carolina coffee, it's easy to drink black. Sometimes I spring for speedway.
All this stuff does add up!

My lunch is usually wendys salad, I quit getting the potato and recently quit getting the drink too. Just take a bottle of water from home. Would like to start packing my own salad but can't make them as good as wendys

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Check out Nespresso Vertuo espresso machines. The biggest cost is the machine itself but it'll be paid off in no time compared to Starbucks every day. Per drink it's much cheaper than starbucks ($1.00 per pod +/- a few dimes) and it tastes better too. It does espressos and coffee. We have a Nespresso store nearby but we usually just order what we want on-line. Their official website has a better selection that what is available on Amazon. If she likes lattes or cappuccinos there are cheaper milk frothers than the official Nespresso one and just as good on Amazon.
Yes, but is your wife a hot blond that has this coffee drink ready at 6am?

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
First thing I do after the 545 alarm is pop a pod in the kuerig brewer. My preference is gevalia or Dunkin’ original but Kroger if you have them “coffee shop blend” is extremely good and cheap cheap. 40 pods for $15ish. Now if I could only find time to make a lunch and save $10 a day… we’ll I still have to buy the lunch items so maybe $5 a day.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My parents have that machine. Super nice, and makes a very good cup of coffee. We have fairly simple a Keurig machine. Not even worth comparing. The Nespresso machine is next level.

Unfortunately, since Covid, coffee tastes pretty bad to me now. So my morning hot drink is now Earl Grey tea. Very cheap by the 50-count box. The trick is to drop the tea bag in your mug, and then use the Keurig machine as a hot-water heater, and just run a cycle with no pod in it. Cheap, fast, warm & good!

·
Registered
528 Posts
One of the best things we've done as a family over the past 2-3 years, is buy a bread machine. Look for a used one, just as long as the recipe book is included.

Once you have the bulk ingredients, it's really nice to make fresh bread. A 25lb bag of flour is $10 or so at Sams. A 50lb bag of whole grain wheat is $20ish at GFS marketplace. Bulk sugar is cheap. Bulk yeast is cheap. The costliest ingredient for basic breads is the butter, and a 1lb package still goes pretty far.

Then, those ingredients go really far for other uses. Pancake batter anyone? Pizza crust? Dinner rolls? Muffins? From scratch cinnamon rolls? (OMG these are outrageous!)

All very easy to mix up & make at home. When a Pizza crust is easy & delicious to make at home, it keeps you from ordering out all the time. Same for simple white bread - Made fresh at home, even it tastes better. And homemade bread is superior for toaster use. Don't ask my why, it just is...

Plus, with all of the food insecurity coming down the pike, it's nice peace of mind to load up on simple ingredients, and know that you can make bread products for months.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My parents have that machine. Super nice, and makes a very good cup of coffee. We have fairly simple a Keurig machine. Not even worth comparing. The Nespresso machine is next level.

Unfortunately, since Covid, coffee tastes pretty bad to me now. So my morning hot drink is now Earl Grey tea. Very cheap by the 50-count box. The trick is to drop the tea bag in your mug, and then use the Keurig machine as a hot-water heater, and just run a cycle with no pod in it. Cheap, fast, warm & good!
I have a cheap 12 cup drip brewer and the Nespresso. I use them both. There’s plenty of good cheap coffee I keep the drip brew for.

I’m actually trying to cut back on caffeine to 1 cup of coffee a day and then iced tea for the rest of it. I haven’t found a lot of hot teas that I really enjoyed.

·
Registered
528 Posts
And on the topic of food & recessions, & shortages...

Now would be a good time to start buying bulk items that you already eat...

I hear those emergency food supply kits being advertised a lot. Holy moly are they expensive! I can see them being handy if you have to throw stuff in the car & bounce** but I'd recommend buying only the bare necessity of them, and investing the rest of your money in other food stuffs that you already eat, and that will keep for a long time. Frozen meats, bulk cooking ingredients, canned foods, etc.

Plus, buying now will help beat more of the inflation to come.

**And when I say throw in the car & go, let's keep it real. I'm not talking about end of the world nuclear zombie civil war apocalypse. Far more likely, is a severe weather even that leaves you without power. Or a train derailment that turns into a hazmat situation & evacuation. Or a tree falling on your house. etc. etc...

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
And on the topic of food & recessions, & shortages...

Now would be a good time to start buying bulk items that you already eat...

I hear those emergency food supply kits being advertised a lot. Holy moly are they expensive! I can see them being handy if you have to throw stuff in the car & bounce** but I'd recommend buying only the bare necessity of them, and investing the rest of your money in other food stuffs that you already eat, and that will keep for a long time. Frozen meats, bulk cooking ingredients, canned foods, etc.

Plus, buying now will help beat more of the inflation to come.

**And when I say throw in the car & go, let's keep it real. I'm not talking about end of the world nuclear zombie civil war apocalypse. Far more likely, is a severe weather even that leaves you without power. Or a train derailment that turns into a hazmat situation & evacuation. Or a tree falling on your house. etc. etc...
I got a 8 month supply of MRE's both normal and cold weather versions which are freeze dried. I got half a beef in the freezer and 50 lbs of dried beans, white rice. I got canned fruit and vegetables as well.
I got two wells on my property one is water and the other is natural gas both are connected to my house so if the country folds i won't.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Louisville native here. What part of the state are you in?

And I would also encourage anyone to visit the Ark Encounter. Very, very eye opening.
I have a 45 acre horse Farm near FT Knox. Creation museum is also worth going to.

The best way I deal with inflation is by eliminating the source like I helped do in 1980.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I got a 8 month supply of MRE's both normal and cold weather versions which are freeze dried. I got half a beef in the freezer and 50 lbs of dried beans, white rice. I got canned fruit and vegetables as well.
I got two wells on my property one is water and the other is natural gas both are connected to my house so if the country folds i won't.
Never heard of someone having their own gas well for private use. How does this work and what part of the country?

·
Premium Member
9,107 Posts
Few days ago I ordered a bunch of 1 gallon really thick 7 mil Mylar food grade storage bags on Amazon (hate buying from Amazon but is what it is) that come with oxygen absorbers. Zip lock plus can be heat sealed with hair straightener like my wife has or even an iron. Supposed to come in today. Figured I’d stock up on some dried pasta, beans, etc. Why not never know. I’ve got some RTE meals for emergency but was thinking the Mylar stuff could be more of a now over the next year or so use. I’ll just try to find pasta etc in bulk and or on sale before prices skyrocket again. Maybe will help save some money.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Never heard of someone having their own gas well for private use. How does this work and what part of the country?
South central kentucky.
It has a regulator to reduce pressure so my appliances can operate on it and a filter to catch impurity's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
South central kentucky.
It has a regulator to reduce pressure so my appliances can operate on it and a filter to catch impurity's.
Wait, so you have a natural gas well on the property that feeds your house directly? So you literally have totally free energy? Is it just your home or does the well feed into a grid of some kind?

·
Registered
528 Posts
South central kentucky.
So you're saying that if I bought property next door, that you'd lease me some natural gas for like $25 + 10 dozen eggs + 10lbs ground beef yearly, right? :D

Edit: OK you drive a hard bargain. I'll throw in a box of 12 guage shells, and 2 boxes of rifle ammo, your choice as well. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I drink the Walmart coffee, that comes in a big can ( 5lbs ?) for about 8 bucks. If I don't try the expensive coffee, I'll never know the difference .

·
Registered
73 Posts
As to the original question. Recession? We are already in one. First quarter GDP was Negative. Unless they manage to lie fudge the second quarter GDP data barely positive, they will announce it shortly. What we are actually in is the controlled demolition of the financial system. Fed will do token rate hikes, of nothing substantial because the U.S. Government's $30 Trillion in debt doesn't allow for inflation fighting interest rates, which by the way, don't lower supply driven inflation. Higher interest rates drive up costs for indebted businesses and local governments, causing MORE inflation. The fed doesn't control supply. They don't create, grow, or mine anything. They can only effect DEMAND. In other words, the fed is hiking for the express purpose of causing a recession, which will lower demand, collapse prices, then they can cut rates and print again.

61 - 80 of 167 Posts