Lawn Care Forum banner
81 - 100 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I review the help wanted ads for landscape laborer and applicator positions every so often to keep my fingers on the pulse of wages. I know things tend to slow down this time of year, but I am surprised at how few companies are hiring laborers now in my area. It'll be interesting to see if the labor shortage situation changes, at least temporarily.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Wait, so you have a natural gas well on the property that feeds your house directly? So you literally have totally free energy? Is it just your home or does the well feed into a grid of some kind?
Feeds just my home and i like it a lot.

So you're saying that if I bought property next door, that you'd lease me some natural gas for like $25 + 10 dozen eggs + 10lbs ground beef yearly, right? :D

Edit: OK you drive a hard bargain. I'll throw in a box of 12 guage shells, and 2 boxes of rifle ammo, your choice as well. :ROFLMAO:
My nearest neighbor is 2 miles from me and i prefer it that way i got plenty of fresh eggs and 30.06 rounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it coming? What are you doing to prepare?

No politcis please.
Now would not be the time to be taking on additional debt that has to be serviced. Not the time to trim iffy customers if you fear you might be facing a shrinking customer base. Do not commit suicide on contracts where there is almost no money, if at all avoidable. A time to evaluate employees and figure who is pulling their weight, and who is riding. Developing a contingency plan for a down turn.
It seems that so many of the large corps are gouging. And over promising on delivery dates. We have a friend that has been waiting forever for his new Ford truck. He sold his other truck five months ago, and is using a loaner from a family member.
We went to the auctions this week and stuff (five figure items) that should have sold did not make reserve. I did not come home with the 62 Corvette.The interest rate shift hit new loan seekers hard, and will depress housing prices.
Expect to see more bankruptcy auctions and keep your power dry for those.. At this point I have seen equipment sales where people are gambling on some raggedy high hour equipment. And then you have to put it into serviceable condition to run it. If the parts are available, of good quality, and you have a tech who is knowledgeable, who can fit you in. . Four big Iffs.

As for politics I am here to seek your vote. Yes, "Vote me, I'll steal less, at least until I learn to steal more. You cannot assail my character or reputation madams and sirs, because I have none, or it is poor." Stolen from W.C. Fields in part.
Stay well and treat each other with kindness and respect.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Although I'm not in the landscaping business despite have enough equipment to be in it, having seen hard times during a recession back in the 80's when we lived in England, UK, we are now well prepared for almost anything, although I could have done a lot better if I had more saving/investing sense back in the day. Wife has a job which she does primarliy to keep herself busy and somewhat independent although she has unlimited spending access to my bank accounts and credit cards where we always maintain 0 debit balance. Despite working as a highly paid independent technology consultant, having an extremely lucarative and niche skill set, my line of work is not recession proof and I could be without work in a jiffy although its been non-stop busy since summer 2019, thanks to the powers above. Now, if I could only stop my frivolous spending, I'd have an even larger surplus, I'm trying guys :D.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
My line of work is recession proof due to my importance and job title. Besides mowing i am head of public works at a small town.
My paycheck is solely from tax payers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stock up. Major food shortages coming. Already rationing food in come countries. My dad has been a farmer/rancher his entire life. The current so called admin is going around and paying farmers to turn over their crops and slaughter their cattle. Fuel shortages coming. Lots of talk about rolling blackout and grid down. Many in my area in a rural areas have started gardening and buying solar power generators. The world economies are going to completely crash. Paper, silver, and gold will be worthless when you need food, clothing, and energy. My personal opinion, this is all by design when you understand what's going on, see it, and know whose behind it. Same group whose always behind it. They're literally telling you what they're going to do on the WEF, UN, and Great Reset websites. Right out of the horse mouth. You'll own nothing and be happy.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
I had chicken fried steak. It was so big I took some home in a box. Breakfast for 2 with a tip was $47. 😕
The diner here for breakfast i have country fried steak with gravy comes with two eggs, toast or biscuit with gravy and hashbrowns i usually get coffee and it works out to 9.70 with tax and i leave a $5 tip.

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
The diner here for breakfast i have country fried steak with gravy comes with two eggs, toast or biscuit with gravy and hashbrowns i usually get coffee and it works out to 9.70 with tax and i leave a $5 tip.
Hmm, Is country fried steak the same as chicken fried steak? Either way it sounds delicious. 🙂

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’m very glad I sold my equipment and got out of the landscaping and grass cutting business in 2018 and went back to school for nursing. Graduated in 2020 with my associates, then BSN in 2021. Best move I made so far. I really do feel for many of you if having hard times right now. Business is definitely not for the faint of heart.

81 - 100 of 167 Posts