Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone, it has been a few years since I have posted on this site. I am no longer doing any commercial cutting, it is just my home now. All my commercial mowers over the years, GrassHopper, Jon Deere, Gravely Pro Turn and ScagTiger Cat 2, are all history. I own just under an acre of land, what machine would you all recommend for me? I don't want to spend 8 or 9000 dollars for a commercial machine since it will not be used for that purpose and money is getting to be an issue at my age.

I just want a good quality machine for my yard. I have big box stores here Tractor Supply with Toro, Lowes with J.D. a JD dealership, a Hustler/ Gravely dealership, and a few others. Would love to get some feedback.

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
Good morning everyone, it has been a few years since I have posted on this site. I am no longer doing any commercial cutting, it is just my home now. All my commercial mowers over the years, GrassHopper, Jon Deere, Gravely Pro Turn and ScagTiger Cat 2, are all history. I own just under an acre of land, what machine would you all recommend for me? I don't want to spend 8 or 9000 dollars for a commercial machine since it will not be used for that purpose and money is getting to be an issue at my age.

I just want a good quality machine for my yard. I have big box stores here Tractor Supply with Toro, Lowes with J.D. a JD dealership, a Hustler/ Gravely dealership, and a few others. Would love to get some feedback.
Most people in this forum cannot give the advice you are seeking, for the fact most cannot relate to only cutting one very small lawn weekly. I just thought I would give you a heads-up in your effort to get a response to your question. You will probably have better luck in the "Homeowner Assistance Forum."

·
Registered
25,936 Posts
I remember you and welcome back! More details would help, such as where you live in the country and will you also use the machine for anything other than cutting your grass? If all you are doing is mowing your own lawn and no snow or other work is to be included in its use, IMO, and estate grade ZTR would be best. The BB store stuff is extremely lightweight and made to only last a few years at best before something gives out and you either pay a lot in repairs or go buy a new one (planned obsolescence). I would also look at low hour used commercial and estate grade used stuff. A lot of folks bought new omes etc, and went and bought a nice mower just before the economy started heading south in 2021 and now are selling them to cut costs, so deals can be had if you look around. Even a decent grade garden tractor would be a good choice for HO use where time to cut doesn't mater so much, so look at the 500 series JD's and the Simplicity equivalents. They cut extremely well, most have side by side hydro pedals and even power steering and hydraulic deck lift etc, which makes it easy for those getting along in years to operate. Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The brand that got me back in to mowing for money is HUSTLER. I was very impressed with the Hustler Raptor I bought 8 years ago. I am not a mechanic, but I was able to service everything myself on the Hustler. The controls on the Hustlers are very smooth, and are top notch. It was also very user friendly. A Hustler Raptor will easily handle 1 acre. But trust me, if you buy a Raptor you ARE gonna wanna step up to the next level. And if you get the next level, you're gonna want the one above that. Especially if you're used to commercial mowers.

If I were in your shoes, I would go to a Hustler dealer and buy a 60" RaptorHDX (around $5,xxx I believe), or the next step up (I think that's the FastTrack). If you buy brand new, regardless of brand, and you maintain the mower, you will have peace of mind knowing the mower could outlast you. That peace of mind is far more valuable than the money you would save on a used mower. And it should be a blast mowing 1 acre with it for many, many years to come!

I have a Scag Cheetah now, but the only reason I don't have a comparable commercial Hustler mower is because I found a new Scag Cheetah discounted (end of the year model) at a dealer that gladly took my Hustler X1i (an entry level commercial mower) as a trade in, a deal I could not pass up.

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
Friend of mine told me he was really impressed with a spartan he bought for his own property I know virtually nothing about them other than a little searching. Price point is very close to homeowner. I heard rumor one of the original founders of bad boy started spartan after some bad blood at bad boy but not sure if that’s true.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Simplicity dealer close by? If so we sell a bunch of the Courier ones. Alot of the 42-48" cuts. A small little bed on the back for picking up limbs or small loads to haul around. Come with a dependable fabricated deck, serviceable transaxles, and a nice mesh seat (the seat is awesome on those hot days and yes they hold up), for years of dependable service.
But I'll add get what fits you best. Stay away from box stores mowers, they're not the same quality of these you purchase from a mom and pop dealer located close to you. When you buy a mower with a warranty, you want to be able to depend on someone who will take care of you locally and get you going vs the hassle of dealing with the mess.
I would reccomend a fabricated deck, they just last longer and hold up to those uh-oh moments better. Serviceable transaxles, they'll be able to last you longer and take care of them. Stay away from anything that has Kohler on it, homeowner grade kohler engines just aren't worth a crap lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts