Recommendation from experts - best home mower

Rolfk

LawnSite Member
I like to rely on the experts for advice. I just purchased a lot with 1.5 acres to cut. I’ve always used a push mower, but now I’m looking for a riding mower for this sloped lot. What do the experts recommend, in regard to brand, cut width, zero-turn, etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rolf K

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
Check your nearest mom and pop shop dealers, see what they sell, check their reviews on the google, and purchase from there.
Don't purchase from a box box store.

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Look at dealers instead of box stores.

Questions are how low you intend to keep it cut, weekly, bi-weekly, what kind of grass do you want it to be. If its heavily sloped or just a weak slope in an open flat area, tree obstacles? Lots to think about.

OP
R

Rolfk

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the responses. I plan to cut it bi-weekly as much as possible, but weekly during the early season when it’s growing so fast. I have Bermuda grass. It’s a gentle slope from the top of the property to the bottom with several trees and flower beds. I will need to have the ability to work around obstacles, but also have a big area of just grass. Are there certain makes of riding mowers that are recommended, based on your experience? I had a John Deere 25 years ago. I know technology has changed significantly since then.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Ditto the smaller commercial dealers. They usually have a few resi mowers in stock and they are going to be a heck of a lot more help that homeless depot.

paulsgrass

Banned
Little guy can not compete with the big boys. Lowe, Home Depot Costco, Walmart. Can not compete with them. They get the volume sales and no hassle returns, warranty. The little guy can not compete it is impossible.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
The little guy is going to have a better product for the homeowner than the big box I can almost guarantee you. Plus try to take that pos back to HD or Lowe's or try to get something fixed on it. Then come back and tell me how the little guy can't compete.

paulsgrass

Banned
The little guy is going to have a better product for the homeowner than the big box I can almost guarantee you. Plus try to take that pos back to HD or Lowe's or try to get something fixed on it. Then come back and tell me how the little guy can't compete.
Seriously ? These are main stores. They have contracted service centers all over the world. I don't owe anyone favors.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Neither do I. Not trying to get into an argument. I have heard countless examples of people needing work on mowers and taking back to "John" or whoever the minimum wage guy is that happens to be working that day and won't be there next week at the big box stores. My brother in law was a manager at one for about ten years. He agreed they would do just about anything to not take back a mower. So no I guess I don't have any first hand knowledge in this. I'll sign off.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
Little guy can not compete with the big boys. Lowe, Home Depot Costco, Walmart. Can not compete with them. They get the volume sales and no hassle returns, warranty. The little guy can not compete it is impossible.
No hassle returns, warranty? Let me see you take your mower into Walmart in a year when something goes wrong. If they actually do try to honor your warranty you won't see your machine for months as it will be loaded on a semi and hauled to who knows where.

On the other hand for a typical homeowner that just wants to keep their grass knocked down and doesn't worry about a warranty I see no issue with buying at a big box store. I bought a couple mowers over the years from box stores and had no problem, but never had any major issues with the mowers. I didn't worry about the warranty and just fixed small issues myself at my own cost.