Lawn Care Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
As promissed here is the spring green up pics.

19-0-6 put down on 4/1/09.

I still have a couple of areas that look they have not come out of dormancy.

Attached is also the soil sample for this year so you can compair from last year's and continue to provide feedback.

Thanks again.

Plant Building Window Leaf Road surface

Plant Groundcover Grass Terrestrial plant Flowering plant

Attachments

Apply 1 oz of brown sugar with 1 oz of "stale" beer per 1,000 sq feet.
Use as much water as it takes per 1,000 to get it sprayed this spring.
Your pH still needs to be dropped one full point. This requires 4 applications of elemental sulfer at 5 lbs per 1,000 sq feet each time. Spread these out over the summer.
The last number is potash. I hope you can get at least 4 lbs per 1,000 sq ft this summer.
Apply light applications of nitrogen to maintain color, we don't want to promote thatch.

As promissed here is the spring green up pics.

19-0-6 put down on 4/1/09.

I still have a couple of areas that look they have not come out of dormancy.

Attached is also the soil sample for this year so you can compair from last year's and continue to provide feedback.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the new pic!

I would apply 0-0-50 (potassium sulfate) at 3 lbs per 1,000 May 1st.

The rest of the Fert apps I would like to see you use a 1-0-1 Ratio fert, example 18-0-18, and would be a "Plus" if it has The N in Ammonical form as well as the Potassium in Sulfate form.

The Potassium like the N is a very mobile element in the soil, and will need to be replenished at each Fert application.

I like to keep K (potassium) in the High range, and apply 2-3 lbs a year.

Keep in mind also that a 50 lb bag of 18-0-18 has 9 lbs of Actual N, and 9 Lbs of Potassium, BUT you must Multply the Potassium by .83 to find out how much Elemental Potassium you are applying, as That is what is available to the plant.....In this case 7.47 lbs of Elemental K in this bag.

Apply 2-3 lbs of year of K in the Elemental Form AND be extra careful if you are applying Potassium in the Chloride form as it has a HIGH Salt index and will burn roots if applied heavy.....It must be used in smaller doses, unlike the Potassium Sulfate.

Potassium Sulfate is the Good One Sir.

Happy Spring,

Pete

Discussion starter · #45 · (Edited)
Apply 1 oz of brown sugar with 1 oz of "stale" beer per 1,000 sq feet.
Use as much water as it takes per 1,000 to get it sprayed this spring.
Your pH still needs to be dropped one full point. This requires 4 applications of elemental sulfer at 5 lbs per 1,000 sq feet each time. Spread these out over the summer.
The last number is potash. I hope you can get at least 4 lbs per 1,000 sq ft this summer.
Apply light applications of nitrogen to maintain color, we don't want to promote thatch.
Funny you mention that. I read that somewhere else and applied beer, magnesium sulfate and sugar to a small area in the backyard. Litterly overnight it was a darker green.

I was going to ask if I could apply to the entire yard without affecting other real fert apps.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Thanks for the new pic!

I would apply 0-0-50 (potassium sulfate) at 3 lbs per 1,000 May 1st.

The rest of the Fert apps I would like to see you use a 1-0-1 Ratio fert, example 18-0-18, and would be a "Plus" if it has The N in Ammonical form as well as the Potassium in Sulfate form.

The Potassium like the N is a very mobile element in the soil, and will need to be replenished at each Fert application.

I like to keep K (potassium) in the High range, and apply 2-3 lbs a year.

Keep in mind also that a 50 lb bag of 18-0-18 has 9 lbs of Actual N, and 9 Lbs of Potassium, BUT you must Multply the Potassium by .83 to find out how much Elemental Potassium you are applying, as That is what is available to the plant.....In this case 7.47 lbs of Elemental K in this bag.

Apply 2-3 lbs of year of K in the Elemental Form AND be extra careful if you are applying Potassium in the Chloride form as it has a HIGH Salt index and will burn roots if applied heavy.....It must be used in smaller doses, unlike the Potassium Sulfate.

Potassium Sulfate is the Good One Sir.

Happy Spring,

Pete
Thanks for continuing to follow this thread.. as always great info. Couple questions though.
-If i apply the 0-0-50, dont I need some nitrogen for the 2nd app or can I wait to the 3rd?
-How do you know to multiple the K by .83? Is that a standard calc for K. What about the other nutrients?
-How do I know if it is Elemental or Chloride form?

Go ahead and apply the beer / sugar to the whole yard. No Mag please soil have enough.
If you plan on fertilizing with 18-0-18, make 4 applications spread out over the year as needed. You will end up with 4 pounds N and 3.3 lbs K respectively. No need to complicate your life sulfate vs muriate or extra potash treatments. You are using a pre disposed turf blended fertilizer. You still have not tested for micro nutrients. So the only other nutrient required is Sulfur for lowering the pH. Elemental sulfur at 5 lbs per 1,000.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
Thanks Plant Wizzard.

Do I need to time the sulfur applicatons with the Fert or can I put it down anytime without harm?

Is it possiable that the high PH is related to the ratio of Ca/Mg?

Your soil CEC is acting like 47, and not like the 18.9 because of bicarbonates.
Your soil is acting more like concrete than soil.:dancing:
Adding sulfur will help dissipate these bicarbonates.
Keep sulfur treatments about 2 weeks apart from the fertilizer applications.

Bicarbonates will seal up the soil , and likely the water source there is Hard water.....

The S in your fert blends will keep at bay as the Wizard suggests, and Stick with a 1-0-1 Ratio fert IMHO.

The Beer,MgSo4,Sugar is a source of Yeast (N fixing) Mag Sulfate (Mg and S in Available Sulfate form) and Sugar (Carbon Source).....

Happy Greening...

Pete

Discussion starter · #52 ·
0-0-38 and 5lb/1000 sulfur put down on 4/20/09. We had some serious rainfall over the past couple of weeks. 90% of the yard is looking thick and dark green. I still have 10% that look like the pictures above. Could they still be dormant, or most likely a problem with the soil in those areas?

Not much 1-0-1 ratio at my local center. Would 21-3-21 work for my maintenance fert.

Kiril, the information provide so far has worked good for me. I am looking into a topdress of compost as you suggested. I just need a compost spreader, or do you recommend another way to get consistant coverage?

I just need a compost spreader, or do you recommend another way to get consistant coverage?
For that yard, you don't need a spreader. Find a bulk source, a wheel barrow, shovel, & rake. 1 yard/1000 will give you approximately 1/4" layer of compost, which is the minimum I recommend as a yearly input.

Don't chase the pH .... you are not getting anywhere (note your soil tests). Keep up with your organic matter inputs, and the pH will tend towards neutral over time.

Also, if you are going to compare soil tests as you are in this thread, the tests should be done at the same time of year and from same area. I will assume you are taking a composite, not discrete sample.

Proper water management for your lawn is critical! Do NOT follow any generic recommendations when it comes to irrigation.

:clapping:University's recommend replacing only the nutrients you harvest.
:dancing:Consultants recommend balancing the soil.
:dizzy: Environmentalist recommend organics. Its not just manure anymore, its a living. So wrap your arms around 70 cubic yards of compost and have at it. Lets see... compost adds micronutrients and humic acid. Humic acid not only acidifies, but helps create soil structure. It also chelates nutrients that where tied up in the soil, making them more available. The carbon is a fertilizer, I'm sorry a food source. We don't like the fertilizer word. You just need to wait for it to leach into the ground. So even though the soil test is dilluted by depth, the sulfur is helping, the pictures show the turf responding quite nicely. Yup everyone is right.

Discussion starter · #55 ·
OK... I think I am off an running for the year. Yard is looking great. I have put down 2 apps of sulfur and 2 apps of 0-0-38.

Have a question though. How do you tell how many lbs per thousand I am putting down of any given fert? For the 2 apps of K, I used almost a 50lb bag but I know that is not 50lbs of K. How do you calculate the acutal amount beside just reading the bag?

Thanks for everyones help so far this year...

OK... I think I am off an running for the year. Yard is looking great. I have put down 2 apps of sulfur and 2 apps of 0-0-38.

Have a question though. How do you tell how many lbs per thousand I am putting down of any given fert? For the 2 apps of K, I used almost a 50lb bag but I know that is not 50lbs of K. How do you calculate the acutal amount beside just reading the bag?

Thanks for everyones help so far this year...
50 Lb bag of 0-0-38 is 50 X 38%....That gives you 19.

Multiply 19 X .83 is 15.77 Lbs of "Elemental Potassium"

Enjoy the GREEN :)

Pete

Discussion starter · #57 ·
thanks.. so on the soil sample it recommend .75lbs per thousand. If I am reading your calculation correctly, since I have a 6k sq/ft yard, I basicly put down 2.63lbs per thousand? isnt that way to much

Also the .83, does that work for NPK or just K?

thanks.. so on the soil sample it recommend .75lbs per thousand. If I am reading your calculation correctly, since I have a 6k sq/ft yard, I basicly put down 2.63lbs per thousand? isnt that way to much
If you follow the base saturation camp recommendations, yes. Your K was only off by a little.

Also the .83, does that work for NPK or just K?
Only potash (K2O)

cool, so whats the calc for N and P.
N is just the percentage (i.e. the analysis shows elemental N).
P & K are expressed as oxides and need to be converted to get your elemental basis.

P2O5 = 44% P or (2 * molecular weight of P) / molecular weight of P2O5

P = ((2 * 30.973 g/mol) / 141.9445 g/mol) = 0.43641000531898030568 = 44%

K2O = 83% K or (2 * molecular weight of K) / molecular weight of K2O

K = ((2* 39.0983 g/mol) / 94.20 g/mol) = 0.83011252653927813163 = 83%

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.