Record install day

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by snomaha, Sep 24, 2017.

1. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Had a good day yesterday from our install crew. Put a 7 man install crew together and they got 5 new home systems in the ground by 4pm - all 6-8 zone systems. Gift cards for that crew tomorrow!

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Do what
    30-40 zones installed in one day?
    What is that like 200 heads on average?
    30 heads a guy? Ish.
    What did they use, a trencher or a vibe plow?
    Are all these homes adjacent to each other in a new subdivision being built

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Pics of the jobs please! It'd be nice to see what happens when a crew of guys kick some butt.

Controller pics and valve wiring is a must have :)

Grassholes likes this.
  4. snomaha

from midwest

30 - 40 zones is about right - I know one of them was a corner lot.
    Average home in these neighborhoods is approx 20 rotors and 20 sprays
    Case maxi sneaker
    Two different subdivisions in the same general area of town

Best part was that the lead on the install crew made the decision to press hard because of heavy rain chances Monday and Tuesday. 5 man crew got 4 done Friday as well.

5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

That is some serious hustle. But I wonder what level of "finish" could be attained when working that quickly? Maybe it is top notch. I consider me and my guys pretty efficient and we couldn't come close to that. It is just the 4 of us and one of our faster installs this year was a 10 zone 60 rotor and 1000' drip install. We had it done in two days. But I am very particular about how everything looks. Manafolds must be straight and level, poly must come straight into the valves no bending, deep valve boxes notched for the pipes, conduits for control wiring, etc

6. snomaha

from midwest

Very experienced crew - I would be happy with the level of detail and finish if it was my house being installed. That being said, we have techs that go back after sod and make minor adjustments - also do a new homeowner walk through after sod takes. Can't recall any complaints on workmanship in recent memory.

hort101 likes this.
  7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

That's impressive

8. snomaha

from midwest

The core crew on install has been together for 5 years. Fun to watch any crew work like team - unless it's a custom home, they are out of the truck and everyone on task without even talking. That pace can only be sustained on a few occasions a year - would burn everyone out setting that pace as the norm.

hort101 and Mdirrigation like this.
  9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I'd like to see pics. It's always a pleasure to see quality and quantity construction.

kawasaki guy likes this.
  10. snomaha

from midwest

ill check with the crew tomorrow on pics