• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Recovering suspension seat?

Bunton Guy

LawnSite Silver Member
Anyone had a suspension seat re-covered? Mine is a couple years old and has 2-3 large cracks in the vinyl seat.

I priced a new suspension seat and it was around $350.000

I thought about bringing the seat to a auto upholstery shop to see if they had something tough to re wrap it in.

pugs

LawnSite Gold Member
Check with your mower manufacturer. Alot of them have been putting out bulletins about individual parts available for these expensive seats. Like you can buy the individual cushions, arm rests, springs/shocks...

Probably still wont like the prices but just thought I would toss that out there. Your dealer may have to do some digging or make a phone call to find out about it depending on brand.

MJB

LawnSite Silver Member
I had the bottom recovered and it works great. The hardware is still good either price replacing the cushion or have it recovered.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
I think recovering's going to run you upwards of $100 and maybe more, mostly because it would be an unusual project.

Because I also think you can replace the seat part itself whole, you remove the suspension part
from the old one and get a new 'seat' and put it all back together, that's not too expensive.

If I'm not mistaken they start around $40 or $50 and run upwards of $80 or thereabouts...
No need to recover, just get the part, I'm pretty sure they sell them...
And if you need the arm rests I believe they sell those as well, might run you 120-140 now...

Last edited:

HISnHERS

LawnSite Member
I think recovering's going to run you upwards of $100 and maybe more, mostly because it would be an unusual project.
Actually a suspension seat would be no big deal for a real upholstery shop. Shop nowadays have to deal with all sorts of heaters, air bladders, suspension bits, and electronics. Do that stuff long enough and a seat is a seat. I used to do that type of work full time and still dabble in it for friends/family - we even have our own commercial/automotive sewing machine.

Some shops may be willing to reform the seat with a little extra padding which can make it much more comfortable.

You will save labor $ by taking as much of the seat apart as you can. Even more if you can take the cover off and hand it to them. Obviously, I don't know how yours is attached, but generally it's not that complicated to remove and replace a cover. Also, it's impossible to know without seeing it, but they may be able to just replace an insert (one section) instead of making a whole new cover.

HISnHERS

LawnSite Member
It's just the bottom part that had splits.

The back and arm rests are in fine condition.
My guess then is that they would take the cover apart (un-stitch all the panels) and just replace the seat part, and stitch it back up. That way they don't have to duplicate all the panels, just the one. As long as the material is still flexible enough to hold the stitching, you can probably get it done relatively cheaply.

A lot of the pricing in the upholstery business has more to to with how busy they are and how much they want to do the job vs the actual job requirements. The biggest factor for you might be the time frame it takes a shop to complete the job. If they have a couple big, profitable projects going a lot of shops will put the smaller jobs aside. Make sure you get some sort of agreement on that. That's one of the reasons I keep a commercial sewing machine around to do the little stuff for folks.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
A lot of the pricing in the upholstery business has more to to with how busy they are and how much they want to do the job vs the actual job requirements. The biggest factor for you might be the time frame it takes a shop to complete the job. If they have a couple big, profitable projects going a lot of shops will put the smaller jobs aside.
Now I wonder, hmmm....

How come that sounds familiar?

That was great.