1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Red Hot Muffler

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Smithlawns86, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Smithlawns86

Smithlawns86 LawnSite Member

today getting my saws sharp and ready for ice storm damage this weekend and doing some test cuts to make sure my saws were cutting well. While using my MS250 which was screaming really well my hand near the brake was getting warm. As I looked at the front of my saw the muffler was glowing bright red and it looks like the plastics near the Oiler were starting to melt. This was only after a few minutes of test cuts. I never remember this saw ever doing that before. Any ideas as to what’s causing it? History of the saw is I’m the second owner. First owner ran straight gas through it I’m guessing and trashed the cylinder and piston. They replaced the carburetor Not knowing what was wrong so I got it basically free. I replaced the cylinder and piston and have been using it the last 4 years and it’s run great however I did have to replace one of the muffler studs 6 months ago.

2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Platinum Member

The muffler could be restricted or the fuel mixture is off.

Walker56 and Breezmeister like this.
  3. Smithlawns86

Smithlawns86 LawnSite Member

Leaning more towards fuel now that I think about it.. the saw was screaming pretty good and It was performing really well. No signs of restriction and I had cleaned the spark arrestor a few months ago when I replaced the muffler stud and there wasn’t any signs of oil clogging the spark arrestor at that time. You think it may be running too lean? I’m pretty meticulous about mixing my 2 cycle fuel

4. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it sounds like it may be running lean. Make sure carb is on tight and is not sucking in more air causing it to run lean.

rlitman and Doc8406 like this.
  5. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

Check carb mounting as was suggested. If ok, adjust carb. Here is the service manual for your saw. Read how to adjust mixture starting on 11.2.3

Attached Files:

sjessen likes this.