• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Red Magic Max Vac Baffles. Pros and Cons. Do they work?

captken

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ordered a set for my Ultracut deck, 60"
What has been your experience with using Max Vac Baffles?
Will be using baffles with a 60" Ultravac QDS. Blowout has always been bad. Have already installed the factory blow out baffle kit and no noticeable improvement.

Attachments

OP
captken

captken

LawnSite Bronze Member
So much for lawnsite............they lost out to facebook on replies. Sad. At least there is a great database of knowledge here that we helped to create. Sadly, couldn't find the answer by searching and no one replies....go figure. So Long! "Hasta la vista" baby.

OP
captken

captken

LawnSite Bronze Member
Well the baffle kit arrived today. will install them over the weekend. Heavy duty construction. Zinc plated. Looks good.

OP
captken

captken

LawnSite Bronze Member
Well, they aren't that easy to put on. Comes without and nuts/bolts. Called and the manufacturer said to use carriage bolts 3/4" long. Don't see how to mount the discharge side because you can't get your hand in there between the front baffles and leading edge of the mower deck. Found that my deck was bent in the front. The baffle will not lay flat and comes in contact with the discharge side blade. Mows perfectly level, just bent at the rub strip in the front. Am going to take the deck to my welder as I don't have heat. Get him to heat the front and sledgehammer it back straight. There should be a template for marking where the holes need to be drilled as there is not enough room between the baffles already on the deck to use a punch. Only way to use a punch is from the front, with no template. 2 holes I drilled, were close but had to be wallowed out to get the carriage bolt to fit through from behind.

OP
captken

captken

LawnSite Bronze Member
Took the deck to my welder. Deck leading edge straightened. There is no space to use a punch or to even drill the holes from the rear, because of factory front baffle clearances. I am a landscaper, not a carpenter, so I let my welder do the math to drill the holes where they needed to be. Big mistake on the manufacturer, not including a template for where to drill the holes. So now, I'm in the process of repainting the deck, because of the paint damage from using a torch. Hope to install the deck today and giving it a work out to see if it does what it claims to do.

OP
captken

captken

LawnSite Bronze Member
Okay, the good. Looks nice. The bad. Sux Balz. It gets rid of most all the blow out. But the performance of vacuuming up leaves.....lets just say it was removed after several blade changes, from low lifts to gators to high lifts. It is a complete waste of time and money if you are a production user. It won't shred up the leaves going into the Ultravac. It reduces the suction of the deck by what seems like over 50%. When the hopper gets full, you are dumping the unshreded leaves about the same amount as if you are raking them. Little to no reduction in the volume of leaves.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Okay, the good. Looks nice. The bad. Sux Balz. It gets rid of most all the blow out. But the performance of vacuuming up leaves.....lets just say it was removed after several blade changes, from low lifts to gators to high lifts. It is a complete waste of time and money if you are a production user. It won't shred up the leaves going into the Ultravac. It reduces the suction of the deck by what seems like over 50%. When the hopper gets full, you are dumping the unshreded leaves about the same amount as if you are raking them. Little to no reduction in the volume of leaves.
What made you think it would shed leaves and/or reduce volume?

OP
captken

captken

LawnSite Bronze Member
The mower deck, running low lift blades and the ultravac blower shred up leaves that don't turn into dust on a dry day to the point of really dense material in the hopper, so that the weight of collected material will cause the the front castors w/weights, to float, before the hopper is full. The volume of leaves on the ground vs material collected in the hopper is reduced by a good 8 to 10 or more, reduction in volume. So, that for each hopper full of material run through the Exmark Lazer Z 60" Ultracut deck with the QDS Ultravac, you could expect the weight to be equal to about 10 times that amount in just collecting leaves by themselves, either by blowing or raking them in a pile.
The deck, and the blades, running the machine at a slow speed, allow dense leaves to be sucked up from the front of the deck ahead of or just before passing over the leaves. From there, the tumbling action of the material, top of blades to the underside of the deck, over and over cut the leaves up smaller and smaller, so that when they enter the blower, some shredding is expected although not confirmed, they are exhausted in the hopper with the resulting dust escaping the mesh screen in the back. That is how it is suppose to work.
All this works great....but for the deck blow out.....and...Hi, I'm Mike Rowe, and this is my dirty job!!! My boots fill up with debris, my shirt pocket fill up with stuff from all the blowout. The least I can do is wear protective goggles and face mask.

Attachments

OP
captken

captken

LawnSite Bronze Member
The Red Magic Max Vac Baffles....reduce the blowout to almost nil. The reason is it alters the characteristic suction of the Ultracut deck. The baffle tends to bulldoze the leaves up in front of the deck, piles them up into a wave of leaves, while you are trying to collect them, because it interferes with the suction of the deck. The suction is gone. You can hear it in the way the machine sounds. Example, with them installed, in wet conditions, the machine won't suck all the leaves up off the grass, passes a lot of them over. The left blade picks them up but the center and discharge blades leave leaves still on the ground, so you have to go over it again and again. This picture was take right after removing the baffles. I will sell them at a reduced price if you want to try them for yourself.

Attachments