Redmax BCZ260TS Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by 314Lawns, Aug 12, 2018.

1. 314Lawns

314Lawns LawnSite Member

Been using a pair of redmax bcz260ts' for about 2 years. Never so much as a problem or slow start. Today one finally decided to act up. Usually starts in 1 or 2 pulls, after 20 or so it started for about 5 seconds and died. And now nothing. Let it sit thinking it may have been flooded, still nothing. Replaced spark plug, near brand new air filter. Carb appears clean.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction so I can try and save $120 from the local dealer.

2. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

have you ever removed muffler and used slotted screw driver to scrape the carbon build up off the exhaust port walls ?

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  3. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

also , are the 2 fuel lines hardened and is the cap they run thru loose ? ide replace all 3 those parts and the fuel filter at 2 years for sure . tiny leaks any where there can mess it up . its a cheap attempt and proper maintenance anyway . also maybe bad gas , empty out and try new gas . coils go on them too . ide also clean out screen in muffler . make sure carbs bolted down tight . plus check / replace carb gasket . and head gasket for that matter . all this stuff besides coil cheap and regular maintenance at 2 year anyway

hort101 and Ridin' Green like this.
  4. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

Try ethanol free fuel in it. I had constant similar problems with mine, until I switched. You can get cans to try at Home Depot, then find someone who sells it by the gallon, if it solves the problem. I use it in all small hand helds. I still put ethanol in my blowers & mowers.

hort101 likes this.
  5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Pour out all the fuel and put in fresh fuel. Install new fuel filter. Sounds like water in the fuel. Its happened to me before. Only takes a very small amount of water to make it act up.

hort101 likes this.
  6. 314Lawns

314Lawns LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll give these tips a try and will follow up so if anyone in the future stumbles across this post they can get some help too.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Sounds like the coil is gone. My neighbor had a Stihl FS55 that did the same thing. I told him to get a new coil, which he did and installed it, and problem solved.

hort101 likes this.