Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone can provide me with some help with this issue:

I purchased a Redmax BCZ260TS trimmer in April. This is the high torque edition. It's been a great trimmer so far except for the fact that the head just doesn't spin fast enough. I find that I just can't get that nice, clean, fast cut I get from my other non high torque trimmers. From previous experience, I know that this is an issue that's inherent with the high torque trimmers. Anyhow, does anyone know a remedy for this? Is it possible to swap out the head on the high torque version with the one that's used on standard version (BCZ260S). Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Yes, the gear head can swap. The only difference between the 260S and the 260TS is the gearbox.

However, I’ve never noticed a lack of head speed with my 260TS, but grass types down here in Texas are generally pretty thick, plus I run guards off and .105 line.

Is the grass in Canada a thinner species?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the gear head can swap. The only difference between the 260S and the 260TS is the gearbox.

However, I’ve never noticed a lack of head speed with my 260TS, but grass types down here in Texas are generally pretty thick, plus I run guards off and .105 line.

Is the grass in Canada a thinner species?
Thanks for the reply. I run 0.095 line and recently replaced the original head with the Speed Feed 400 head. I've never been to Texas so I don't know what the grass is like down there. Up here, we have basically a mixture of Kentucky Blue Grass, Red Fescue, and Perenial Rye Grass. It's usually thick in the spring and fall. I have a Shindaiwa T242. It seems to cut a lot faster and clean than my Redmax. I'm going to have to check with my dealer about a swamp of gears.

·
Registered
296 Posts
With the other recent thread about a members redmax bcz260s not being strong enough, it got the wheels spinning in my head to try the non-torque gearhead on my 260ts just to see for myself.... I already tried this in the past but wasnt a fan. I decided to revisit this again to figure out what i didnt like. I dont run a guard on my 260ts. The biggest take away with using the non-torque gearhead was how I couldnt run the line out as long as im use to and still have it cutting affectively. I felt like it was really working the clutch hard. As long as I kept the line short, it was cutting good, but as soon as I extended out extra line it felt gutless which is to be expected with that lower gear ratio. For ME, running the line out longer, helps me reach out further and helps clear wider areas quicker. Im talking about in weekly mowing situations. The torquehead may not cut as clean with certain line due to the lower head speed. There are many variables that play into this. The problem for me is that im so use to running out extra line now. If i never ran a torque head trimmer and was use to running less line, a 260s would feel great to me! Another thing to mention is, when running extra line with the 260ts, I can wait longer before I bump the head for more line.

Echo uses a taller gear ratio for their non-torque 2620. A few members made mention of how this unit felt stronger than redmax 260s. With the higher gear ratio, it gives off the impression that the engine is much stronger, but its not. I decide to pick up a 2620 to see for myself if the unit felt stronger than my 260. I removed the guard right away, then I set the proper rpms which were wayyyy off. In the first use of the 2620, I managed to burn a tank of fuel and used up a head of black diamond. Then switch to gator line twist. Now right of the bat I noticed I cant run line out as far as my 260ts, but it does cut cleaner and quicker. I noticed I was bumping the head much more to keep the line extended as Im needing longer line to try to maintain extra reach. I will need more time with the 2620 to get a better feel for it, but I do like it so far. Oh also, this unit vibrates a little more than my echo 3020.

Im going to make a new thread soon, comparing the echo 2620(regular & torque), redmax 260s/260ts and my husqvarna 323L. I started using these units back to back this weekend and will gather more info over the next week or two.

Also going to start a thread, as im looking into where redmax comes up with their 60 degree gearhead angle... they share the same gearhead part numbers as husqvarna who only claims to have 30 degree gearhead angle. My husqvarna 323L feels the same as my redmax 260ts. Ive tanken measurements of both gearheads and they have the same angel. Trimmer handles play into this as well, because some are taller than others. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
With the other recent thread about a members redmax bcz260s not being strong enough, it got the wheels spinning in my head to try the non-torque gearhead on my 260ts just to see for myself.... I already tried this in the past but wasnt a fan. I decided to revisit this again to figure out what i didnt like. I dont run a guard on my 260ts. The biggest take away with using the non-torque gearhead was how I couldnt run the line out as long as im use to and still have it cutting affectively. I felt like it was really working the clutch hard. As long as I kept the line short, it was cutting good, but as soon as I extended out extra line it felt gutless which is to be expected with that lower gear ratio. For ME, running the line out longer, helps me reach out further and helps clear wider areas quicker. Im talking about in weekly mowing situations. The torquehead may not cut as clean with certain line due to the lower head speed. There are many variables that play into this. The problem for me is that im so use to running out extra line now. If i never ran a torque head trimmer and was use to running less line, a 260s would feel great to me! Another thing to mention is, when running extra line with the 260ts, I can wait longer before I bump the head for more line.

Echo uses a taller gear ratio for their non-torque 2620. A few members made mention of how this unit felt stronger than redmax 260s. With the higher gear ratio, it gives off the impression that the engine is much stronger, but its not. I decide to pick up a 2620 to see for myself if the unit felt stronger than my 260. I removed the guard right away, then I set the proper rpms which were wayyyy off. In the first use of the 2620, I managed to burn a tank of fuel and used up a head of black diamond. Then switch to gator line twist. Now right of the bat I noticed I cant run line out as far as my 260ts, but it does cut cleaner and quicker. I noticed I was bumping the head much more to keep the line extended as Im needing longer line to try to maintain extra reach. I will need more time with the 2620 to get a better feel for it, but I do like it so far. Oh also, this unit vibrates a little more than my echo 3020.

Im going to make a new thread soon, comparing the echo 2620(regular & torque), redmax 260s/260ts and my husqvarna 323L. I started using these units back to back this weekend and will gather more info over the next week or two.

Also going to start a thread, as im looking into where redmax comes up with their 60 degree gearhead angle... they share the same gearhead part numbers as husqvarna who only claims to have 30 degree gearhead angle. My husqvarna 323L feels the same as my redmax 260ts. Ive tanken measurements of both gearheads and they have the same angel. Trimmer handles play into this as well, because some are taller than others. Stay tuned!
Looking forward to the thread! I haven’t had the Husky equivalent side by side with my 260TS but I have found the 260 to be the most comfortable for my 6’1 height. I always hunched a bit with my old 2620, which felt more for 5’9-5’11 users and I’ve hunched a lot with my 131R, that feels like it’s be more comfortable for shorter guys with the handle and gear angle.

I might try to remedy this issue with the 131 by installing the taller edger handle, because the only way I can run it without hunching with the stock handle is to only hold it with my hand operating the trigger. Not the best way to handle such a heavy trimmer, but I’d rather build up strength in an arm than suffer from some back pain the next day.

One thing I’ve really wanted to try is to use a high torque Echo gearbox on the 131R to make the ultimate high power trimmer, but I’m not sure if the gearboxes are interchangeable between the two

·
Registered
24,994 Posts

Husky (being european) rates a lot of things oddly to us here. No doubt their 30* number is taken from the opposite direction of the RM (30+ 60= 90). They rate a lot of their blowers at the housing that are sold at big box stores leaving buyers with the impression they are getting a much stronger BP than they are.

I run no guard and longer than stock line on my 260S and have no problem until I let out enough line that I really should be using a much stronger trimmer like my FS 250. I would like to see a gearbox that is exactly halfway between the TS and S in gearing. That may be the best of both worlds. Looking forwards to your thread. I know it'll be a straight comparison.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Husky (being european) rates a lot of things oddly to us here. No doubt their 30* number is taken from the opposite direction of the RM (30+ 60= 90). They rate a lot of their blowers at the housing that are sold at big box stores leaving buyers with the impression they are getting a much stronger BP than they are.

I run no guard and longer than stock line on my 260S and have no problem until I let out enough line that I really should be using a much stronger trimmer like my FS 250. I would like to see a gearbox that is exactly halfway between the TS and S in gearing. That may be the best of both worlds. Looking forwards to your thread. I know it'll be a straight comparison.
That gearbox is where the standard 2620 lands IIRC. Now if only Redmax would make a gearbox like that

·
Registered
296 Posts
That gearbox is where the standard 2620 lands IIRC. Now if only Redmax would make a gearbox like that
Thats why I wanted to try the 2620. So far, I cant say it pulled alot longer line than my 323L, but it just felt more peppy when working it. I will put on the echo torque head I have, to see how different it feels. I didnt play with the torque head on my 3020 for a super long duration as I loved how the 3020 performed with the non-torque head. Part of me feels it will be a tick too slow versus the redmax gearhead.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Loving this thread already and cannot wait till you have the other thread @ktoom

I want one of these trimmers, and I constantly flip flop between the TS and S models as to what I might buy at the moment.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you run a guard, get the standard model. If you run without the guard, get the high torque model. All I run are high torque models. Either the Redmax 260TS or Husqvarna 525LST.

2620 is too heavy, and trigger grip is uncomfortable after long periods of use. And the gap between bump head and the gear head allows stuff to get wound up in it when you're trimming taller stuff.

Overall power is about the same between the two. The Redmax seems to make it's power in the upper RPMs, and Echo in the lower. I think Echo standard head ratio is 1.6 or 1.5 to one. Redmax is 1.3, I believe this is correct. So the Redmax standard model will feel under powered if you run without a guard. Both high torque models run about a 2 to one ratio.

Reactions: Eric502
1 - 12 of 12 Posts