Redmax Blower Will Not Start for Anything

TheJester517

LawnSite Member
Hey guys, my names Jesse, I'm new to the site. A buddy of mine gave me a Redmax EBZ7500 (one with the controls in the left hand, not built into the tube handle assembly) backpack blower that he was having issues with because I do a lot of repairs as well. I fix trimmers, chainsaws, blowers, mowers, cars, motorcycles, you name it I've worked on it in some aspect. So my first thought was the spark plug wire, since the plastic housing actually rubbed through the rubber coating and you could see exposed wire, so I ordered a new ignition coil and changed it out. I have an inline spark plug tester so I tested it out, and i have good spark now so I thought I'd be good but still nothing. So i went one step further and cleaned out the carburetor but when that didn't work i just ordered a new one along with a new NGK spark plug, figured it couldn't hurt but even after that I still have nothing. I have now done everything i could possibly think of, I pulled the muffler, it's clean not clogged, I dumped the gas and put fresh in, i pulled the flywheel to make sure the key didn't shear and timing wasn't off, i put a compression tester on and got up to about 150PSI so I doubt the piston or rings are an issue either. I am honestly stumped that thing thing will not even sputter, you can pull on it all day and nothing, not even with starter fluid.
What I'm asking is, what else could it possibly be, at this point I'm in about $80 bucks and the guy might end up letting me keep it but it does no good to me if I can't use it especially with all the leaves falling. I have my smaller Echo one running like a top but I thought this would be nice for the bigger yards.

Thanks in advance

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
If u actually do have compression, and a spark I would also wonder do u have fuel getting to the Piston chamber because it will at the least turn over. But if you are putting start fluid directly into the chamber I'm wondering if you actually have a spark. Go with TGG and verify fuel delivery. Second, pull the plug, reattach and hold it (the bottom end of the plug) while you gently pull on the recoil. You will quickly know if you really are getting spark. Yeah poor man's inline spark tester. But it's worked for me countless times.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
They're famous for the plastic intake to crack tween the fuel and air side ( upper and lower.)
Also check the air reed valves , one on each cyl side. May have rubber tubes connecting to manifold, been a while.
Did you check to see that the cyl exh. port wasn't carbon clogged, should also check fer stuck rings, scored piston, etc thru exh. port.
First thing I do on any two stroke is inspect the cyl exh. port.
Get ya a redmax parts manual from their site.
If ya dig around u can prolly find an official Redmax service manual, or an explanation of the air strato charge system.

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Do all of the above and check the in tank fuel filter.

redmax fan

LawnSite Silver Member
spray startin fluid in carb to see if fires because the fuel lines time after time develop invisible crax and it stops them from runnin . just replace fuel lines as a maintenance deal . and are carb n head bolted on tight ? replace primer bulb too . its almost always the fuel supply issue

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
Came across this, might help. I have no idea where it can from........

Attachments

OP
T

TheJester517

LawnSite Member
Hey guys thanks for all the insight, I forgot to mention, I changed the fuel lines and filter, they came in the kit with the brand new carburetor. I also did test the spark plug itself without the tester, in the boot against the cylinder head and that's good. So after reading Bigfish's idea, I rechecked the plastic intake and that was good and then thinking there might be reed valves I started looking and saw the plate on the side of the head that was blocked behind where the coil mounts. So before I realized it, I had tore the whole thing down and took off the cylinder head to inspect everything. Nothing looked too bad, some carbon build up on the piston, no real scoring or anything though. Two things, the head gasket broke/was broken (I'm not really sure) so I gotta replace that but my real question is what are the two plates/covers mounted on the opposite sides of the cylinder? I took them off and they were both pretty fouled but more importantly, neither of them have sealing gaskets which I find odd. I did a google search and came across this picture, you can see the two of them and one matching gasket yet in all the parts diagrams, I see no sign of them.

Thanks guys

High-Quality-Fit-RedMax-EBZ8500-EBZ8500RH-Cylinder-For.jpg

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
but my real question is what are the two plates/covers mounted on the opposite sides of the cylinder? I took them off and they were both pretty fouled but more importantly, neither of them have sealing gaskets which I find odd
Did I not mention them in my previous reply ?
You need to download the shop manual that Breezmeister so generously provided.
And study it !

OP
T

TheJester517

LawnSite Member
Sorry Bigfish, you mentioned reed valves, these were not that, they do not have any reeds and the manual doesn't encompass this model or series. Nonetheless, I skimmed it and apparently they're called scavenging ducts which I've never heard of before. I'm gonna try to find gaskets for those if not I'll make them out of gasket paper. I ordered a head gasket and I cleaned a lot of the carbon off everything, I'll let you guys know when I get it all back together

Thanks