Redmax blower will not start

chstein

LawnSite Member
I have been doing repairs on my equipment for the past 20+ years. I have run into a problem with a couple of Redmax EBZ8500 backpack blowers. I have rebuilt dozens of these blowers successfully, but have run into the same issue with two of my blowers. I have replaced the cylinder, piston, rings, base gasket, ignition coil, carburetor, fuel delivery system, and control lever arm. Both blowers refuse to start - not even a flutter. I brought the blower to a very good repair shop. They put 4 hours into diagnosing the blower and could not get it going. It's getting spark, the fuel is making it to the intake since I can see the fuel on the intake gasket when I take the carb off. I have stripped the blower down three times and triple checked everything. Still nada! If anyone has any ideas what may be going on, I'm all ears. I have played around with this on and off since last fall and no one has a clue what it could be. Anyone?

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
When I was using cheap oil mix the exhaust port would quickly get completely I mean dang near completely clogged. Could barely fit a pin through it. Until that was cleared they weren't starting. But that's an easy diagnostics. Pull crank while putting hand over exhaust port. Probably been done. Are they sparking?

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Nvrmd I see the getting spark. So yeah agree with @sjessen douse it with ether spray directly into the chamber. If it's sparking it will ignite and something will happen.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Gold Member
I have played around with this on and off since last fall and no one has a clue what it could be. Anyone?

Take some mix oil, put a few drops in the spark plug hole, cycle the piston, repeat a few times. The oil will help to seal/seat the rings. Put the plug back in and it should start....should ;)

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I've heard same not to use ether also as well in a diesel but a diesel mechanic told me if in a bind it doesn't hurt it just wouldn't use it every day.

OP
C

chstein

LawnSite Member
Thanks everyone. I have tried the starter fluid method, but lubricated the cylinder with a little 2-cycle first to help seat the rings. No luck. I did notice a very small leak coming from the one of the reeds on the cylinder. Oddly enough, they do not come with gaskets which seems strange since they don't sit as flush to the cylinder as you'd expect. I did seal them, but still having no luck. When a small engine mechanic spends 4 hours on one of these blowers and can not come up with a solution to the problem, it becomes a mystery to the small engine repair community. Please keep throwing any ideas you may have out there at me. I am at the point where I may give a reward to the wizard that figures this out.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks everyone. I have tried the starter fluid method, but lubricated the cylinder with a little 2-cycle first to help seat the rings. No luck. I did notice a very small leak coming from the one of the reeds on the cylinder. Oddly enough, they do not come with gaskets which seems strange since they don't sit as flush to the cylinder as you'd expect. I did seal them, but still having no luck. When a small engine mechanic spends 4 hours on one of these blowers and can not come up with a solution to the problem, it becomes a mystery to the small engine repair community. Please keep throwing any ideas you may have out there at me. I am at the point where I may give a reward to the wizard that figures this out.
Have you done compression and leak down tests?

Top Forums