1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

RedMax CHT2200's might have to go...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Guys, these hedge clippers are OK... but dang!

These things bellow dang smoke to a point that is un-called for...

I've been complaining about them since I got them. But boy... today I did some thick-thick shrubs and wow... that's nuts.

As I said before, I was sold on the weight of them.
    But they smoke unreal, lack a little grunt and the engine/blade speed is not marvolous.

Anyone have either of the following Strato-Charged models?

CHTZ2400
    CHTZ2500
    SRTZ2401

2. Envy Lawn Service

Does nobody use RedMax anymore?

3. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Envy.

Because you have a problem with smoke and blade speed I can suggest 2 solutions that really WILL work. First, instead of taking a loss on your new toys. Buy some Opti-2 oil and mix it up at 100:1 ratio. After a half-tank under load you will no longer have a smoke problem.

Hog down your cutting head with some simple green, brake cleaner, oven cleaner, etc. Something strong to break up and dried sap and juices. Hit them with a scrub-brush and rinse them really really well. Then hit them with a generous dose of fluid film before and after use or once a week whatever is first.

Do these 2 things and you'll think that you have totally different clippers. You might be surprised. Worth a shot?

4. Envy Lawn Service

Well, I used to run Opti-2... loved the stuff.
    Just got to where I couldn't get it around here anymore.
    So I run the Amsoil that I can walk into NAPA and get.

The Amsoil seemed too rich at 50:1 and seemed too lean when I tried it at 100:1 years ago. So I have been running it at 64:1 which has been doing well in the Strato-Charged units.

Anyways, I have another thread going on the Amsoil because I've been considering trying it at 80:1.

5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Dude,
    I run Opti2 in all of my equipment - even my 2200. Mine hardly smokes at all. I suppose you have taken the trimmer back to the dealer. What does he say?

6. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

Srtz2401-We have three pair currently and have had over 10 pair of redmax extended reach trimmers since I have been buying redmax. They cut better than any other trimmer out there, however, they do not last as long as other brands hedge trimmers. I buy them for the finish product they deliver. Cut boxwoods with stihl or shindaiwa and they cut at them, redmax shears right thru them. Srtz2401 is also not a trimmer for cutting overgrown work like a lot of people do. They are for finish work, shrubs that are maintained a cared for on a regular basis. I currently own about 18 redmax pieces and have NEVER had trouble with them smoking. I would not lean the oil ratio out, but I would change oil brands. I think your problem lies in your oil, ratio of mixture, or some kind of carb adjustment.

7. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

He would probably tell him to buy the redmax oil sitting on his shelf.

8. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

I use redmax oil in all of my redmax equipment. Each item is over 2 years old and I have never had a problem with smoke. I also believe the problem lies in the ratio mix.

9. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

husky low smoke oil sold at lowes. really is low smoke -i have a old 2cyc techumche engine on a toro that i trim with thats a real smoker. hardly any with the husky oil. hedge trimming with a smoker is a nusance. you are getting that much smoke from amzoil? dosnt seem right