Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Switching over to Redmax trimmers from Stihl and I want to know which Redmax model you guys use. I will be purchasing 3 trimmers that will get the crap used out of them. Weight is not really a big deal but power is because we seem to get alot of heavy, thick stuff to cut through. We are currently using Stihl FS250s and would like something comparable.

Thanks alot!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
You have the FS250 and you are converting OVER?...what seems to be the issue...I have the FS110R and it is doing pretty darn good...tell me how you would benefit from the redmax over the Stihl...??? The 250 is even more powerful than mine...hmmmm, shed some light on this please...I am always out to get the best deal on equipment and chose Stihl over redmax because of the service of the redmax dealer up here...I had a redmax 2600 in my hand and got no help from the meatheads for 45 minutes...walked into the Stihl place and they helped me right away...sales and service are most of the picture...tell me how you think the redmax is better, or are you just looking for a change...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dcplace2004 said:
do you think will match this bhp?...the 2600 won't, the 3000 won't...the 250 is one of the most powerful trimmers made...
I agree that the FS-250 is very powerful, never denied that. Stihls, in my opinion become very hard to start after they get a little mileage on them( blowers, trimmers and everything else). The 250s have been burning out coils with regularity and they are only 14 months old. This gets expensive at $92.00 a pop and the hassle of the down time. Redmax has twice the warranty duration of the Stihl products. Looking at the Redmax trimmers next to the Stihl the Redmax just looks like a more finished product.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am going to call Stihl and ask them why the coils are lasting to a little over a year...perhaps something should be done about it, period...it does upset me that Stihl's warranty is only 1 year...can you explain the coil thing to me please and how it works...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
we also run the 2600 red max....

i like them much better than echo, stihl and husky..

the husky trimmer we have is VERY light and VERY powerful, but things break a lot and everything on them is too complicated to fix...

shindawa and myruama are also very good and right up there with red max.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dcplace2004 said:
I am going to call Stihl and ask them why the coils are lasting to a little over a year...perhaps something should be done about it, period...it does upset me that Stihl's warranty is only 1 year...can you explain the coil thing to me please and how it works...
The dealer told me that I run to heavy of a line in them and it burns the coil prematurely. Granted, we do use .130 line for tough weedeating jobs but this is a damn commercial FS250 machine that should be built to handle these applications. At least that's what I was told when I was standing there with a fist full of $100 bills getting ready to buy them.

Most of you guys are saying the 2600 Redmax, will this model handle running heavy gauge trimmer line and stand up to what we put a trimmer through? Any input from real world USERS would be great. The dealer stands there and tells you what you want to hear.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I just bought a redmax 3000 trimmer this year and I like it. It has about the same power as a shindaiwa t270. If you want the same power as you are getting out of the fs250 though I think you would want the 3400 series or the 4400 series. However I find the 3000 is perfect for every day trimming. If I am just trimming and not into heavy stuff I can have at least 12" of line out both sides.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stevesmowing said:
I just bought a redmax 3000 trimmer this year and I like it. It has about the same power as a shindaiwa t270. If you want the same power as you are getting out of the fs250 though I think you would want the 3400 series or the 4400 series. However I find the 3000 is perfect for every day trimming. If I am just trimming and not into heavy stuff I can have at least 12" of line out both sides.
The 3000 is the trimmer that I thought would be a good unit. Have you tried running heavy line in it yet? We use .95 for every day trimming and .130 for jungles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For regular maintenance, we have found the 2600s to be more than enough to handle day to day operations. With those machines we only run .095 line. For the heavy stuff we keep a separate older machine that we put a disc on. We don't use the day to day machines on the cleanups since it is not worth the risk of tearing something up on the machines that we depend on every day. One thing on the red maxes - you must pull the spark arrester or it will give you problems after a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I hate to tell you this but the ignition has a five year warranty on parts. If you have been buying them you should try to get your money back cause they will warranty them. The clutch, and drive shaft are lifetime warranty, and the ignition is 5 years!!!!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
woodmedic said:
I hate to tell you this but the ignition has a five year warranty on parts. If you have been buying them you should try to get your money back cause they will warranty them. The clutch, and drive shaft are lifetime warranty, and the ignition is 5 years!!!!!!
Are you sure about that?? If that's the case I am finished with this dealer for robbing me like that :realmad: I have spent SEVERAL thousand $$$ with them and this is the treatment I get. I will do a little investigating before I blow my lid though. Does anyone else know about this 5 year warranty on coils?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have the BCZ2600S and the BCZ2400S. The 2400 is a bit lighter and almost as strong as the 2600. The 2600 is a very strong and reliable trimmer. Love them both and wouldn't trade for anything.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Come on now person! Go to the stihl website and click on the warranty...nowhere in there does it say 5 years on the coil assembly...Don't be like my sister-in-law (a no-it-all) and make false claims...I sister-in-law is always right, can tell you about lizard breeding, amount of force it takes to get the space shuttle off the ground, and all sorts of dumb sh*t...don't get crap started that cannot be backed up...redmax has a two year on the coil assembly (download owner's manual for 2600 at website)...I belive stihl has 1 year on coil assembly--NOT FIVE! I will tell you one thing...if my coil breaks either before or after the year warranty that will be the last time I buy stihl...I will yell this now--"DID YOU KNOW THAT REDMAX HAS A LIFETIME WARRANTY ON THE IGNITION COIL!" I like my Stihl products but let them screw me over once and that is it...I always have to find out the hard way...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.