1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Redmax Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by riden2low, Jul 6, 2004.

1. riden2low

riden2low LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Just found out from the shop that I burned up my piston in my Redmax trimmer(6 months old). Cheaper to buy a new one than to have it repaired. Said I must of used regular gas with no mix because it got pretty hot. Now I have been in business for 15 years and I know which gas cans have a mix. I did not put in a no mix. I use the same ratio in all of my stuff 50:1. The oil I use is made by Echo. So I best go back to my old stand by of 40:1. The guys did give me the break down on parts needed and stock numbers. I am pretty handy with a wrench so what I am asking is if anyone out there know where I can get these parts on the net. Maybe I will just order it thru the shop. The guys wanted to charge me 140.00 in labor and the parts listed runs at little over a 100.00. So could get it back in service and keep it as a spare. If not it will for spare parts. Oh yes, I bought another Redmax.

2. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

I run Optimax oil in all my 2 cycle equipment. Saves time trying to insure I have the correct oil mix because I have machines that run 25:1, 32:1, 40:1 and 50:1. No problems yet.

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

From what I've read, the only way to overheat a 2-cycle engine is to run them at idle for a long time. If you didn't do that, you must have used the wrong gas can.

To keep from putting straight gas in our 2-cycle equipment, I only carry two types of cans: 5 gallon cans with straight gas for the mowers, and one 2 gallon can with mixed gas for the trimmers. This makes it simple: it is hard to fill a trimmer from a 5 gallon can.

4. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto, I keep my mix in a 1 gal can, and more premium in a 2 gal in case I run out.:)

5. riden2low

riden2low LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Thanks guys, but I do know my cans, one is a OSHA gas can that has a goose neck spout, Regular gas. The oil mix is a 5 gal can with a short small spout that makes it easy too fill small gas tanks. But back to my question............ does any one know where I can get the parts at a reasonable price?

6. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

I have no idea, but I had a question. Do Redmax's use a 50:1 ratio or 40:1? I only mix 50:1 for my blower and current homelite which will soon me taken over by a Redmax.

Thanks,

-Nick

7. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i own some 40 pieces of redmax and we use smokeless 2 storke @ 50:1 and super unleaded fuel, no engine failures as of yet. as far as parts on the net, no idea. tony

8. Nick17

Nick17 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I don't fool around with gas. 93 octane on ALL equipment..

-Nick

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Why don't you have it repaired or replaced under warranty? Redmax has a two year warranty? If it costs over 55% of the new cost, they will give you a new trimmer free.:confused:

10. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

i do the very same thing