1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

RedMax vs Stihl

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by UrbanGreen, Mar 3, 2008.

1. UrbanGreen

UrbanGreen LawnSite Member

I am looking to replace my weedeaters, edgers, and hedge trimmers this year. I have run stihl equipment and was wondering what you guys think of redmax equipment. I use redmax blowers and love em. I have heard that the stihls are all 4 stroke now and are heavier and cost a lot more. Anybody have advice on the better product?

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Better - not sure. More comfortable with - REDMAX.

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not going to say that they are better as its really opinion for the most part, but I prefer Redmax. I have Redmax weed whackers, edgers, and blowers and love all of them.

4. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Fanatic

Redmax trimmers are good trimmers as good as the blowers.:waving:

5. UrbanGreen

Thanks for inputs! Can you get a lot of use out of the redmax's? Most of my stihl I have run for 4-5 years but they of course are not the 4strokes.

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Fanatic

The most we get out of a blower. no matter who makes it one year, with good service

The life of a blower at full throttle is about 300 hours.:waving:

7. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned 4 Stihl blowers (BR400's and Br420s) and 3 shindaiwa/redmax. Redmax and Shindaiwa use the same engine and I found them to have no discernible difference. I found the Redmax/Shindaiwa blowers to be stronger and to start easier. My old Stihl's didn't have a carb pump, so they always took a few more pulls when cold. I wouldn't want a unit without a carb pump. I vote for Shind/Redmax.

8. UrbanGreen

Wow! I have two ebz8000 that are 3 yrs old and still run great! They were ran year round. I just bought 3 more ebz8001. Thats what has made me interested in the rest of their equipment.

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I'm wondering if redmax is better with their trimmers. Because I use stihl 2 cycles and like them. I had a redmax and didn't like it too much.

10. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

I have both and I like the Redmax much better. Great torque and a very solid unit with twice the warranty.:cool2: