• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Redmax?

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
So guys, how does the current Redmax equipment stack up?

I happened to run across a dealer that I thought went out of business that relocated and I didn't know it. So I have one dealer about 40 minutes away. It has grown into a really solid place in the new location and I have no issue with the dealer at all.

The 2 cycle dealer I have used for years dumped Redmax some time ago, which was over an escalation of problems for them after Husqvarna purchased them... Redmax wasn't their first run in. I know this because we had a bad experience on some other stuff together where Husqvarna had bought the brand.

My stuff is old Redmax and though I do have some grumbles with some things, I can't really say much because I have been using their 2 cycle stuff for 15 years or so now. Maybe more. It has been good to me overall.

The new stuff seems somewhat similar to my old stuff. Like the trimmers seem to have different plastics, recoils, handles, etc. But motor, shaft, gearbox, head, etc all seems the same. But at the same time I am a little gunshy of anything Husqvarna has bought out. So I thought I would ask around about the current quality.

The dealer I have used for years has Echo and there are a bunch of dealers around in addition too. And the dealer I used for years before them has Echo and Shindawia. So I have other good dealers I can use and other brands to move to.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Nothing wrong with RM at all. remember, Husky owns them as a subsidiary, but RM makes most of Husky's HH equipment for Husqvarna. I don't like the should straps at all on the current BP's, but the machines are solid. I love my RM trimmer more than any other I have owned or used.

OP
Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
I was pretty concerned on this. One reason was they were still marketing these as Strato Charged engines, every unit with a Z in the model number, which is all of them now, even the smallest cc unit that used to not be. I looked under the engine cover best as I could and could not see any reed valves nor air pipes that were obvious giveaways of the Zenoa Komatsu Strato Charged engines on Redmax products.

I thought maybe I just couldn't see what I was eyeballing for because of the new cover.

After a lot of digging, it seems when the model numbers changed from 4 digit numbers in them to 3 digit numbers, the air pipes and reed valves are gone in the parts diagrams. But then I got to looking at the 30cc models going way back and saw no air pipes. Just what is likely reed valve covers. So pipes must be part of the cylinder

So I guess on the engines smaller than 30cc they have came out with a new cylinder with ports to replace the air pipes and reeds are deleted or no longer replaceable?

If you guys are running them and they are still as good as the old days and haven't been screwed up from getting gobbled up then I have an extra choice when I replace some stuff.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I have owned several pieces now that are strato-charged. I don't understand why folks think they are bad. They aren't and they run just fine and IME, the exhaust smells better than from a non strato engine. There's certainly no lack of power. never heard anything about pipes or reed valves. All I was ever aware of in HH units are extra air ports in the cylinder below the main intake port that provides the layer of fresh air above the exhaust gas.

OP
Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
redmax sold=bad. shindawia sold=even worse
From what I understand Shindaiwa and Echo are both owned by Yamabiko now? Best sense I could make of it is the Kioritz company that owned Echo merged with Shindaiwa forming Yamabiko which is the holding company for both brands now?

It looks like they share engines and heads but not shafts and controls. Seems echo has flex cable drives while Shindaiwa has the steel driveshafts like Redmax.

These are the 3 brands I am considering when the time comes. I think I like Redmax and Shindaiwa handles and throttles a little better. Heads I don't think I have a preference and I guess Redmax heads would fit in place of the speed feed head if I didn't like it?

I haven't compared the air filtration between them yet.

I assume Shindawia/Echo engines have cat converter mufflers where Redmax does not?

OP
Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
I have owned several pieces now that are strato-charged. I don't understand why folks think they are bad. They aren't and they run just fine and IME, the exhaust smells better than from a non strato engine. There's certainly no lack of power. never heard anything about pipes or reed valves. All I was ever aware of in HH units are extra air ports in the cylinder below the main intake port that provides the layer of fresh air above the exhaust gas.
Yeah I have never had one problem more inboard than the carbs. I've never had to replace reed valves or anything of the sort. This may be why they changed over the years. Strato Charged engines have been great for me.

I do have one trimmer that is at least 15 years old. I think it is a BCZ2600S. So 15-17 years old. It has the old GZ25 Zenoa strato charged engine with the air pipes. The air pipes look like they will go at any time from age. I've rebuilt the carb so many times one of the threads pulled right out on one of the 4 little screws that hold it together from the primer bulb up. Can't complain about anything at all, just facing the fact it is old and I can't get the air pipes anymore, unless this one place I ordered from actually has them. The other places have all had to refund me due to part not made anymore. So I figure having to replace it is on the horizon.

I have zero issues with another Redmax clearly. I was just a little concerned they might have gotten ruined after the buyout. A couple people so far say it's not an issue.

JayinKs

LawnSite Senior Member
I personally wouldn't be afraid of RM. In fact, I've been thinking of a 260 trimmer. Their BP's are obviously good machines.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Redmax makes top tier equipment. If you can get good service through your dealer, run it with confidence.
This is the only equipment we use. Blowers, trimmers, you name it. Have always used them. Tried stihl. Just didn’t like them nearly as much.