• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Redmax?

OP
Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah I ran Green Machine and Fuji Robin to start with. Then Shindaiwa for years. Then Stihl for a lotta years until they started changing things like casting the flywheel key as part of the flywheel and switching to 4-mix. A lot of people I know went 4-mix and stayed with Stihl. I was ticked off I couldn't get another FS85 lol. I was really loyal to my dealer at the time. They had Stihl, Echo and Redmax. I bought all new Redmax stuff and never looked back.

OP
Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
The new equal to what I have been running is the Redmax BCZ260S

Does anyone have...

Redmax BCZ260TS
Redmax EXZ260S-PH

Echo SRM2620T
Echo PAS2620
Echo PAS225

Shindaiwa T262
Shindaiwa T235
Shindawia M262
Shindawia M235

I don't know anything about the high torque models or any of that. I guess what I have is probably 1.462:1 as I doubt that would change. The torque model Redmax doesn't state the gear ratio. All the Shindaiwas are 1.62:1. The Echo torque models and heads are 2:1.

I don't know what to tell you about my trimming style except I don't use a throttle lock much. I don't run a guard I guess because I tend to run more line out. Probably 17"-18" on the short end, probably 20"-21" at other times.

Do I want to try 1.62:1 or 2:1 ratio or no?

Also considering a multi-tool because I don't use stuff as much anymore. Some stuff not enough to have a dedicated unit and keep another engine running. Thought about it for some hedger and pole saw options that I'd never use enough for a dedicated unit. Saw that bed edge redefiner Echo has too. Redmax has a real short hedger attachment. Can't tell if it articulates though. Just random thoughts I have had.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
The BCZ260TS is 1.92. It's in my owners manual for my 260S. The 260s is a really great trimmer. RM shows it as 1.27 on their site as does my owners manual, but the hang tags that came on mine from the factor as well as the dealers own hang tags showed it as 1.34.

I know my FS90 is rated at 1.27HP and my 260 is definitely stronger in the tough cutting. Not sure what HP it really is, but I sure do like this trimmer and would buy another in a heartbeat if this one crapped out tomorrow.

OP
Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
i am buying maruyama and tanaka now. high quality stuff.
Both of those have gotten good marks in the past. But I don't have a dealer for either of those around here. I think the only reason is that a long time back a lot of timber was cut around here and so Stihl is the major player because of their saws, and everyone thinks Stihl makes the best everything still. Not much else can get a foothold. For the most part places will try a second line of something for a year or so but don't keep them because they can't sell them.

I literally have 1 place I can by Redmax that I recently rediscovered and 2 dealers I can buy Echo. But Stihl is sold everywhere. Like almost every dealer and hardware store.

OP
Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service

LawnSite Fanatic
The BCZ260TS is 1.92. It's in my owners manual for my 260S. The 260s is a really great trimmer. RM shows it as 1.27 on their site as does my owners manual, but the hang tags that came on mine from the factor as well as the dealers own hang tags showed it as 1.34.

I know my FS90 is rated at 1.27HP and my 260 is definitely stronger in the tough cutting. Not sure what HP it really is, but I sure do like this trimmer and would buy another in a heartbeat if this one crapped out tomorrow.
Thanks for the clarification on the Redmax ratios. I really forgot it was in the manuals. My current one is geared 1.357 according to the manual.

The old GZ25N engine is 25.4cc 1.2hp and as long as the carb is right it has reserve power. It's seldom for me to set the throttle lock which isn't full throtte, and it's rare I pin the throttle. To me it has plenty of power for the weight. I'd have to be doing clearing work to reach for a 30cc trimmer I think, and I don't usually do anything like that but a couple times a year. These days I think I'd be just as happy with 21-22cc like 1hp. The majority of what I do is regular trimming. I clear the back side of a fence line once in a while and clear a right of way once in a while.

Have you ran both the standards and the high torque lower geared trimmers? I'm not quite wrapping my head around that and it is not something you can demo.

I get that the lower gearing makes the job easier on the engine so it will feel stronger with the same engine. But the head speed comes in to play with running longer line and cutting. I first thought ehh not enough to effect head speed all that much, probably just run slightly more rpm. But then I saw there is almost a 2000 RPM shaft speed difference between the two Redmax units. I end up back scratching my head.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Thanks for the clarification on the Redmax ratios. I really forgot it was in the manuals. My current one is geared 1.357 according to the manual.

The old GZ25N engine is 25.4cc 1.2hp and as long as the carb is right it has reserve power. It's seldom for me to set the throttle lock which isn't full throtte, and it's rare I pin the throttle. To me it has plenty of power for the weight. I'd have to be doing clearing work to reach for a 30cc trimmer I think, and I don't usually do anything like that but a couple times a year. These days I think I'd be just as happy with 21-22cc like 1hp. The majority of what I do is regular trimming. I clear the back side of a fence line once in a while and clear a right of way once in a while.

Have you ran both the standards and the high torque lower geared trimmers? I'm not quite wrapping my head around that and it is not something you can demo.

I get that the lower gearing makes the job easier on the engine so it will feel stronger with the same engine. But the head speed comes in to play with running longer line and cutting. I first thought ehh not enough to effect head speed all that much, probably just run slightly more rpm. But then I saw there is almost a 2000 RPM shaft speed difference between the two Redmax units. I end up back scratching my head.
No, I have only ran 2 of the standard model 260S trimmers. I wanted the faster line speed of the std. If I need more power in a trimmer than that, I have an FS250 ready and waiting.

Valk

LawnSite Gold Member
I'm a RM fan, but their stratocharged HH blower left a real bad taste in my mouth. Hated that cold blooded thing. It didn't like hot restarts either. Smiled the day I put it at the corner of my driveway while feeling bad for the person who acquired/liberated it. I long ago replaced it w/ a Maruyama HH that is still the easiest-to-start, most dependable piece of HH equip I've ever owned.

RM/Husky BP blowers are money. Super dependable. I recently replaced my beloved RM7500 w/ a Husky 850 Mark II. Straps & padding are superior on the Husky units compared to RM. While I miss the tip speed of the 7500, the 850 will serve me well for years to come.

Replaced my old Stihl FS80 a year ago w/ a Maruyama B30L, the non-torque model. Zero complaints = lots of power/easy starting and only 11.5lbs. The local-ish RM dealer wanted to charge me extra for a RM-260S since he only carries the T model. I said no thanks.

I'm an all residential solo no-guard guy that uses as low of a head speed as possible. Have never replaced a trimmer clutch or had an issue because of it.

My Maruyama equip (HH blower & trimmer) has been good to me, but I totally commiserate w/ anyone who questions parts availability. Knock on wood, I haven't needed any. My dealer is one town over.

ANY piece of equip is as good as its ability to start during its lifespan.

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
The new equal to what I have been running is the Redmax BCZ260S

Does anyone have...

Redmax BCZ260TS
Redmax EXZ260S-PH

Echo SRM2620T
Echo PAS2620
Echo PAS225

Shindaiwa T262
Shindaiwa T235
Shindawia M262
Shindawia M235

I don't know anything about the high torque models or any of that. I guess what I have is probably 1.462:1 as I doubt that would change. The torque model Redmax doesn't state the gear ratio. All the Shindaiwas are 1.62:1. The Echo torque models and heads are 2:1.

I don't know what to tell you about my trimming style except I don't use a throttle lock much. I don't run a guard I guess because I tend to run more line out. Probably 17"-18" on the short end, probably 20"-21" at other times.

Do I want to try 1.62:1 or 2:1 ratio or no?

Also considering a multi-tool because I don't use stuff as much anymore. Some stuff not enough to have a dedicated unit and keep another engine running. Thought about it for some hedger and pole saw options that I'd never use enough for a dedicated unit. Saw that bed edge redefiner Echo has too. Redmax has a real short hedger attachment. Can't tell if it articulates though. Just random thoughts I have had.
Im not against redmax or shin I put all the Japanese made stuff as top tier

I'm an echo guy have had my pas 230 over 5 years if I was you I'd be looking that direction

They've consolidated pas lines into pas 225 or 2620
Imo the 225 is a little underpowered for the redefiner and pole saw

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm a RM fan, but their stratocharged HH blower left a real bad taste in my mouth. Hated that cold blooded thing. It didn't like hot restarts either. Smiled the day I put it at the corner of my driveway while feeling bad for the person who acquired/liberated it. I long ago replaced it w/ a Maruyama HH that is still the easiest-to-start, most dependable piece of HH equip I've ever owned.

RM/Husky BP blowers are money. Super dependable. I recently replaced my beloved RM7500 w/ a Husky 850 Mark II. Straps & padding are superior on the Husky units compared to RM. While I miss the tip speed of the 7500, the 850 will serve me well for years to come.

Replaced my old Stihl FS80 a year ago w/ a Maruyama B30L, the non-torque model. Zero complaints = lots of power/easy starting and only 11.5lbs. The local-ish RM dealer wanted to charge me extra for a RM-260S since he only carries the T model. I said no thanks.

I'm an all residential solo no-guard guy that uses as low of a head speed as possible. Have never replaced a trimmer clutch or had an issue because of it.

My Maruyama equip (HH blower & trimmer) has been good to me, but I totally commiserate w/ anyone who questions parts availability. Knock on wood, I haven't needed any. My dealer is one town over.

ANY piece of equip is as good as its ability to start during its lifespan.
I think you meant 580 rather than 850 in your post. :)