1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Reducing lawn height

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ericbl, Aug 28, 2009.

1. ericbl

ericbl LawnSite Member

I am in the process of cutting my lawn down from 4” to 2”. The grass is Jamur Zoysia. I am in zone 9a.
    At 4” the lawn is a very lush green color, as I reduce the height, 0.5” at a time the grass leaves/stems are pale brown, if I allow the grass to grow taller, (i.e. skip a cutting) the grass tips green up, I do not believe it is thatch as I can see the grass down to the soil. How do I transition to the lower setting, and get the grass blades adjusted to the lower settings to produce the green blades? The lawn receives about 1” of water/week unless mother nature kicks in.

2. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

that type of grass is only green on the top 3rd on the leaf. 4 inches is way to high to cut it. if you are wanting it to be around 2" it will be brown for a little while but will green up. you may want to cut it 2 times per week to maintain the most green in the leafs.

3. ericbl

ericbl LawnSite Member

Thanks Fastcat, anything I need to do to assist it during the process, i.e. soil activators (medina) it is slow as bringing it down in 1/2 increments requires more frequent mowing, I am bagging the clippings, wife saw the lawn go from gorgeous to, lack of better words, scalped. I have opted not to fertilize as did not want to create more stress.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Fertilizer does not cause stress. I think I have heard that zoysia golf courses cut at one inch, three times per week. (reel mowers. ) Give it a few days to recover and adapt.