Reel Mower 27" Tru-Cut

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by jwjohnson, Sep 27, 2017.

1. jwjohnson

jwjohnson LawnSite Member

IMG_3594.JPG Tru-Cut C-27 Reel Mower purchased new in 2016. Honda GX motor. Used on my home lawn only. Comes with roller already installed. Backlapping kit & grass catcher included.

Asking $1500. Will listen to reasonable offers.

2. Howell's Landscaping

Howell's Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm looking at getting a reel mower for my landscaping business. Did you like the way it cut? Was there a noticeable difference in the appearance compared to a traditional rotary cut mower?

3. jwjohnson

It leaves a beautiful cut on the right turf. You have to keep the blades sharp and mow more often. It will roll over stringers though.

4. Howell's Landscaping

5. Howell's Landscaping

I've got several customers that live in a high end neighborhood that has 3 golf courses on the premises and I've been batting around the idea. Still uncertain yet but I'm leaning towards a reel mower to add to my feet

6. jwjohnson

If you have are mowing high end properties I would think you would like it. It does really well on turfs that like to be cut short. The roller also leaves a nice stripe and prevents scalping. When I say stringer I am describing grass chutes or even weeds. In my opinion the quality of cut diminishes as you try to mow higher.

7. Howell's Landscaping

I figured that's what you meant but just wanted to make sure. Most all of not all the homes/yards in there are on a pretty strict fertilizer regiment so there are few weeds in most lawns. I've been cutting with a zero turn and a Walker but no one else in my area uses reel mowers and I was thinking it could give me an edge over the competition. I've still got more research I wanna do but I think it may be a route in going to take. Right now most lawns i cut are at about 3-4 inches with a standard zero turn. How does that translate over to a reel mower or does it?

8. jwjohnson

I'd have to double check, but I think that 2.5" to maybe 3" is the highest you can cut with the one I have. Cut quality probably depends on the turf though. If you have some Bermuda or Zoysia lawns that are irrigated well and can be cut shorter I think you would love it. If you have to stay and 3 to 4 inches I would probably stick with rotary.

9. VaBeachEmpireZ

VaBeachEmpireZ LawnSite Member

jwjohnson

Your profile mentions Texarkana, TX

Is that where this mower is?

10. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

There's a guy in my town that has a reel mower and I've seen pictures that he post on his Facebook. Pictures kind of don't do justice, you have to see in person. Well one day driving down the road at beaches area, there are some homes that have Bermuda that has got to have the 1/2" cut. I'll just say those yards are TIGHT! I wanted to break out my golf shoes and go walk on it. I wouldn't be surprised if he services those yards.

hort101 likes this.