Reel mower that cuts high (4-5")

Jason O.

LawnSite Member
I have a small lawn (10 foot x 10 foot) that needs grass 4 to 5 inches tall. Is there a simple reel mower that will do the job? I noticed most reel mowers cut it short, which I don't like. (mostly max 3")

BigJlittleC

Banned
A 10*10 area get you a string trimmer. Learn how to hold it so your cut height is 4-5 inches.

If you want a mower a basic rotary mower is what will give you the best 4-5inch hoc.

agrostis

LawnSite Gold Member
You can forget reel type mowers if you want to cut at that height. Your only other choice is a gas powered rotary push mower. At 10 x 10 you could have a deluxe green spot or it be a expensive disaster. Pictures are needed.

Will your climate support a warm season grass like Bermuda ? You could cut that low with a reel. But that might not be what you want. Does it have to be real grass ? For something that small i might seriously consider something synthetic. You might be surprised how many people wouldn't notice it was fake grass.

Mudly

LawnSite Senior Member

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Fiskar makes one that can be set to 4".

I have no idea how it performs at that height but it's generally well regarded among the dozens of people who still use them. :drinkup:

tompom3

LawnSite Member
i took a standard reel tied a cord to the roller rod pulled it back as far as i could ,& cinched the other end to the handle to raise cutting height as great as 7". then i put either a cam or turnbuckle in the cord as a control ie no more cinching. works great. 2x faster than a standard reel, can do large properites, can wait month between mowings. go to fb enter tom d sherman then go to noise reduction.